News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pot tabs

Started by icecycle66, August 11, 2013, 07:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecycle66

Has anyone ever used the little tabs on pots?

I don't think I've ever seen one left on and drill for on any application.

haveyouseenhim

I just used one for the first time today for a 1590A orange squeezer. Seems to work great. Just make sure to have a knob wide enough to cover the extra hole.

I also heard recently that if you snap it off it will fit nicely in the gap of a split shaft pot, which keeps the split from squeezing together when you use a set screw knob.
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

muddyfox

wow that's a great tip. gotta try that, too bad i snap those off as soon as pots arrive from tayda and now i have 30ish pots and no tabs. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

kothoma

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on August 11, 2013, 07:31:52 PM
I also heard recently that if you snap it off it will fit nicely in the gap of a split shaft pot, which keeps the split from squeezing together when you use a set screw knob.

Yeah! Never thought of that. But don't understand that split shaft thing anyway. I prefer solid shaft. Dunno why.

[Edit: added the quote]

davent

I use them but don't drill all the way through the enclosure. Just go deep enough to get past the drillbit taper then grind the tab down so it's shorter and the pot sits flat against the enclosure.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

kothoma

Quote from: davent on August 11, 2013, 08:21:39 PM
I use them but don't drill all the way through the enclosure. Just go deep enough to get past the drillbit taper then grind the tab down so it's shorter and the pot sits flat against the enclosure.

Yeah! Never thought of that, too. Nice.

[Edit: added the quote]

timbo_93631

Now that is pretty smart!
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

selfdestroyer

Thanks to you I need to update my drill templates in photoshop.. lol brilliant.

davent

Quote from: selfdestroyer on August 14, 2013, 04:33:35 AM

Thanks to you I need to update my drill templates in photoshop.. lol brilliant.

For marking the tab hole i just drop a pot into it's hole inside the enclosure then Sharpie where the tab falls with a couple perpendicular marks, pull out the pot, centerpunch my marks and do the drilling.

Easy way to set the drillpress; chuck the necessary drillbit, set a thin metal rule/feeler gauge on the drillpress table, lower the drillbit until it touches the rule then set the drill-depth-stop there and you're good to go.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?