News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fuzz Quest Continues

Started by pryde, August 11, 2013, 02:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

Fuzz Addicts Anonymous...

I'm always interested in new fuzz tones and endlessly search for the Holy Grail of all things fuzzy. Really been digging the Wolf People and there great retro fuzz tones.

I particularly like the guitarist's (the one playing the Gibson Firebird) super over-saturated fuzz that comes in at 1:50 in the video. Fuzz aficionados, how can I get this glorious sound?

Note there are a couple pedal shots in the video (one being a blue fuzz face) but I think its the singer/guitarist's rig. Check it

timbo_93631

Rad song.  Reminds me of Wishbone Ash in many ways.  The fuzz the singer stomps on at the beginning looks like a Colorsound Overdriver, but from the video I think it is unclear which guitar is supposedly making which sound, and videos can be that way, not a direct recording of a live performance by any means.  Overdriver:
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

pryde

Good call Timbo on the overdriver

I have seen some live recorded shows and the guitarist (firebird player) is bringing that super-saturated fuzz in while the singer/guitarist has more of the whooly, fat rhythm tone.

The 2 fuzz tones together are a very nice contrasting yet harmonious fuzzy soup  :)

jkokura

I too really liked that. It's sort of a psychedelic throwback, with modern Indy and Hipster flavours. Pretty Rad.

Remember that what they did in studio to get those tones may not be reflected in the video. Certainly, what they're doing live should represent the songs, but If I'm not mistaken, it didn't look to me like what was happening in the video should be 'this is us recording this song simultaneously.'

Octave fuzz thing going at the beginning, and I don't know that the old Coloursound unit gave that sort of vibe.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

ch1naski

That solo starts off with some crazy filtering on the fuzz... Reminds me of the original bass micro synth sounds

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
one louder.

jkokura

Quote from: ch1naski on August 11, 2013, 07:08:17 PM
That solo starts off with some crazy filtering on the fuzz... Reminds me of the original bass micro synth sounds

Actually, I had in mind that old Maestro unit that you can build a clone of over at BYOC.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pryde

Yes I was thinking a maestro type fuzz as well but this one has even more saturation like he stacked some fuzzes together or something.

Here is another example of his guitar tone: kicks in at 58 seconds. Really awesome song so give it a good listen

gordo

Interesting.  I like the band.  Three knob ToneBender with a booster maybe?  The cool filtered stuff I'm not sure.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

ch1naski

Maestro, huh......

Wait, which one? Not the fsh?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
one louder.

ch1naski

I don't know where you guys find all this strange music that I've never heard of, but I'm glad you do:P
Just grabbed this album. It's all as good as that video. Really cool.
The singer has a Morrissey sound going on, to my ears.... Which isn't all bad, I reckon. I like the smiths..;)

one louder.

pryde

Quote from: ch1naski on August 12, 2013, 08:57:55 PM
I don't know where you guys find all this strange music that I've never heard of, but I'm glad you do:P
Just grabbed this album. It's all as good as that video. Really cool.
The singer has a Morrissey sound going on, to my ears.... Which isn't all bad, I reckon. I like the smiths..;)

You should get both albums (Fain and Steeple). They both just fantastic beginning to end.

ch1naski

I have to say, the production on fain is fantastic. Everything is crystal clear in the mix, and the guitars are very "alive" sounding.

I have take your advice and am grabbing steeple. :)

one louder.

Cortexturizer

This is exactly, EXACTLY, the kind of band I was looking for!
Awesome sounds, melodies, and singing. Thank you so much Pryde!
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

ch1naski

Good stuff

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
one louder.

Kinki fuzz

I think you could get close to that kind of savagery with japanesse fuzzes. Super Fuzz, Standard, Bee Baa.

Also a Octavia. It does beautiful glassy noise.

Anyway, sounds like there's more than only one pedal there...