News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Multi Amp FX Loop Switcher - looking for ideas

Started by GermanCdn, August 08, 2013, 08:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GermanCdn

So I've got the man cave reconfigured with an amp corner, while it's easy enough to plug and unplug the pedal board in front of the amps (OD/comps/dist/etc), it's a world class PITA to plug and unplug the send and returns for the FX loops, where I normally put all my modulation/delay/verb.

So what I'm looking to do is run a multiple send/return box with 10 sets of send and return jacks and one loop running to my board for my mod effects.

My initial reaction would be to wire each set of send/returns to a 3PDT toggle and then run those in series to the loop, but I'm thinking there might be some impedance issues?

Anybody done something like this before?
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jkokura

I'm thinking a Rack mounted solution is probably the only bet for all that. It's the FX Loop thing that's the trick. Nevermind the stuff that's in front of the amps, you'd need something that will switch the output of the in front stuff, and the send and return in one stomp. Potentially you could do that with a 3PDT switch, basically using a pole for each element, however I'd bet you'd experience grounding and popping issues with the various amps.

What about doing a Relay based system, with a pair of DPDT relays in parallel. One relay switches the send/return for the FX loop, the other relay switches the amp inputs, and does a bicolour LED to switch between two colours for which amp.

Or you could try and use a 4PDT stomp switch, and then use a set of transformers for isolating the grounds.

Have you looked in the Radial stuff? Radial have a bunch of different amp and cab and guitar switchers in their lineup. I'm sure there's something. I'll go take a look now, because my interest is piqued.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

GermanCdn

Yeah, you've gone a little more complicated than my needs with that one.  The front end stuff I'm not worried about - I'm not using it to switch between amps on the fly in the traditional A/B/Y method.  All I'm really trying to do is to avoid having to unhook the FX loop off the backs of the amps everytime I want to switch amps (it's absolute freaking chaos in my mind most days, and I jump between amps like a 6 year old on a sugar high).

Don't really want to buy anything, as I highly doubt I'm going to find one with enough input and outputs, but I would if I could find it.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jkokura

Yeah, and I couldn't find anything on the Lehle or Radial sites that was like what I was describing.

So basically, you're just wanting to choose between one amp's send/return, and another amp's send and return? I think that's fairly simple, right? Can we dot that with just a 3PDT? It's sort of like a basic A/B box and a true bypass looper in one.

so....

Amp send 1/amp send 2 > effects send > effects return > amp return 1/amp return 2.

You'd need six jacks. Switching one way chooses amp one's send, passes it through the fx loop, then back to the output to amp one's return jack. Flip the switch, and you're going from send of amp 2, through the same fx loop, and then back to the return of amp 2.

So, pole one - two - three of the switch:
amp S 2  -  LED 1  -  amp R 2

FX S     -   GND   -     FX R

amp S 1  -  LED 2  -  amp R 1

Of course, this doesn't account for potential grounding or popping issues. If those are experienced, you might have to go for a transformer type setup.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

jkokura

Oh, and if you go for a 4PDT switch, which is a few bucks more, you can also switch the input of the amps you're wanting to use too. That pole would go:

Amp 2 input

Guitar signal

Amp 1 input

Again, doesn't account for any popping/grounding issues.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

GermanCdn

Yup, that's pretty much what I want to go with, except for 10 loops, so I think I'll probably go with a 1032, 22 stereo jacks, and 10 3PDT toggles.  It makes sense in my head at least.

GermanCdn

Although taking your idea one step further with a 4PDT stomp would make for a killer live rig setup.  I might just give that a try for starts and see how it goes.

jkokura

So, you want to switch you effects between 10 different amps?!?!?!?!

I might consider a unit with three or four different amp choices to be good enough. Curtis, you're bringing things to a whole 'nother level! You crazy Canuck.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

GermanCdn

You have no idea, my friend.  I'm even beginning to think I have a problem.  The good news is I've sold about half of my collection this year.  The bad news is I replaced everything I sold and then some.  Ebay is beginning to think I'm a bricks and mortar store.

But yeah, I'll probably setup something a little less complicated and see how it works before digging too deep.  Like I said, next time you're in town, com'on over, you'll see the chaos.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

GermanCdn

Well, I don't want to be accused of being useless.

This is the scenario I'm trying to route

gordo

That's a pretty happening setup!  How do you like the little Traynor?  I'm thinking it's the 40watt IronHorse?  I use a Night Train full time now but have always wanted to check out the little Traynors.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

GermanCdn

It's the 15w darkhorse, and it is stellar, and it takes pedals really well.  Love the Pure setting with the 6V6 setting.  Traynors are highly underated.  Didn't go for the Iron Horse because it was a little darker than I wanted.

bcalla

Over on the left on the music stand, that looks like a Zoom hard disk (or CD?) recorder.  I have one - MRS1044 - which I haven't used in a few years.  I just broke it out on Monday to get started with it again.

If that's what it is, do you use it much?  If yes, do you use the built in effects?

GermanCdn

Yes, it's an old MR 1044.  I've probably recorded about 120 somgs with it, I know it's dated tecnology, but i love it for its simplicity.  I use the onboard effects sparingly, primarily using the mastering effects to liven up the mic settings.