News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Boost on a nickel

Started by icecycle66, August 08, 2013, 12:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecycle66

Yeah, someone else did this joke with a dollar or fifty cent piece, but this thing terrifies me.
Its the LPB1 boost SMD board from Chromesphere.

billstein

I ordered that board and when it came it was so small I didn't know what it was. Took me a minute to finally get that it must be the SMD board from Chromesphere. you get no concept of how small it actually is from his website.

Still haven't had the nerve to start on it. Scariest thing I've ever seen.

icecycle66

I bought two, because I know I will destroy the first one.

GermanCdn

I too am completely terrified by the one i ordered.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

ch1naski

I've got opamps that are bigger than that PCB....
Great googly moogly.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
one louder.

chromesphere

Sorry to hear you guys arent enjoying your first foray into smd  :(

When i first had that board fabricated i remember i got a piece of paper and outlined how big it was to see what size to expect.  Even in diptrace, you dont get an appreciation for how small these are. 

I honestly thought i would have no chance putting it together without some sort of visual aid.  I was amazed when on first attempt, it worked!  I've built 3 and they all work. I'd almost go as far as saying, smd is MORE FORGIVING then throughhole.  for me personally, it seems harder to solder bridge.  But you have other challenges though (tombstoning and moving components being one of them).

Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

alanp

Do they call coins nickels in America? I've heard collections of coins called shrapnel before, or rats and mice.

That explains Nickelback... I was always confused at why a band would name themselves after nickle-cadmiun NiCad batteries, I wouldn't pick a name translating to Halfbattery-back, I'd pick something like Steelspine.

As for the SMD -- it scares me. I've got a self-designed half-smd muff (that was badly designed for a kick-off), and it doesn't really work. My iron is probably too big and too powerful for it (40W non-fine-pencil tip), but it works perfectly for TH, so I'm holding off on any more SMD until I get to the point I need a magnifying visor :)

Either that or taking Seeed up on their new service of populating boards at 5c/pad ;)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

chromesphere

This video might give you an idea of the size (for those that havent seen one).  skip to about half way.  This was version 1 of the board with the errors, (new boards dont have those errors):

Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

stevie1556

I agree that the boards are tiny! Soldered mine up the other day, haven't put all the offboard stuff on it yet though. Didn't mind doing soldering on it though.

I'm thinking about getting a hot air soldering gun, and trying again. From videos on youtube it looks extremely easy, and you should be able to get more complicated builds onto tiny boards and into the 1590A really easily.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

culturejam

Quote from: alanp on August 08, 2013, 06:26:01 AM
Do they call coins nickels in America?

The American 5-cent piece is called a nickel. It's 25% nickel / 75% copper.

More info, for the curious:
http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/?action=coin_specifications
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

ch1naski

Quote from: chromesphere on August 08, 2013, 06:33:42 AM
This video might give you an idea of the size (for those that havent seen one).  skip to about half way.  This was version 1 of the board with the errors, (new boards dont have those errors):

Paul
is that.... A Tictac mint?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
one louder.

cooder

I was also a bit apprehensive seeing the tiny boards when I got them, but I found it a great learning experience and actually not as bad as anticipated. I got two of them also thinking I might completly obliterate the first at least, but they worked both great straight away!
Give it a go I'd say!
Great circuit to put into a tight space in an existing stompbox/circuit as additional boost or so too, so will certainly find a great use somewhere for me.
Big thumbs up for Paul to put this as a learning challenge out there!

BigNoise Amplification

icecycle66

I too appreciate the availability of Paul's SMD boards. 
It's just quite shocking at first.

cooder

Yeah... it really helped me to use a flux pen (pickdropper recommended that on here, can only totally agree), applying some first onto pad and component, holding component in place with a toothpick and let solder from iron tip flow onto joint. Worked good for me.
Really slightly different approach than through hole.
BigNoise Amplification

billstein

Quote from: chromesphere on August 08, 2013, 05:54:52 AM
Sorry to hear you guys arent enjoying your first foray into smd  :(

Don't feel bad. You putting together these practice boards is so helpful. It's just shocking when you first see it. Eventually we'll all overcome our fears, put on our big boy soldering pants and get it done.