News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Saddles

Started by pedalman, August 07, 2013, 11:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedalman

Ok so I got my new Mexican strat tremolo (massive block difference ! LOL)
But the saddles that came with it look like crap. They look like a machine was stamping out these noodly things by the millions. Anybody have any feedback on them ? At least my old Squier ones look like a solid chunk of metal. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Maybe its just me, but Id think a solid saddle would ring better.
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

croquet hoop

What really matters, much more than looks (bent style vs solid) is the material they're made of. Brass or stainless steel are fine, even if the saddles are the bent-type. If your solid saddles are made of pot metal, they're much more likely to be a tone killer than bent brass saddles.

By the way, the way you set up your bridge — floating angle, intonation and string height — is even more important. So set up your bridge properly and play the guitar a bit. If you feel no problem, there might be no need to fix it by buying new saddles (you could always buy Callaham's for $40 just because, but I doubt you really have to).

pickdropper

I'm have tempted to buy a Callaham bridge for my MIM strat, just because I like it so much on my Callaham strat.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

midwayfair

^ Eh, you can get Graphtech saddles for like $20 from TGP all the time. Pretty much superior to any metal bridge unless your guitar is hopelessly dark already (and then I'm not sure a stainless bridge is going to help much). They pay for themselves in strings really quickly. I haven't broken a string on an electric in eight years (except when I took the strings off several times in a row to swap pickups ... I broke a D string I think).

GermanCdn

+1 on the Graphtechs, next time I break a string on my red strat, there's a set going in.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

atreidesheir

Go with the TUSQ.  They sound beautiful. 
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman