News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New Mammoth Powder Coat Colours??

Started by hammerheadmusicman, August 07, 2013, 02:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammerheadmusicman

So, i need two Coated Looper Cases, and the 'NEW' colours aren't available to view.

Has anyone bought any/got any pics? Also, i've not bought anything coated from mammoth, what is the quality of the coating like?

Need to get them in the next couple of weeks..

thanks guys :)

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

GermanCdn

As far as the quality goes, the general consensus around here is that Mammoth powder coats are hit and miss.  You might get a great looking one, I've had a few from them.  But you might get one that looks like complete crap.  If you're looking for consistency, buy from PPP.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

hammerheadmusicman

I don't think they sell the 1032 looper boxes do they?

pickdropper

Quote from: GermanCdn on August 07, 2013, 02:27:32 PM
As far as the quality goes, the general consensus around here is that Mammoth powder coats are hit and miss.  You might get a great looking one, I've had a few from them.  But you might get one that looks like complete crap.  If you're looking for consistency, buy from PPP.

+1

I thought that I had about 50/50 luck with good vs. blems from them.  After using them a while, even the good ones started chipping.  I've had zero chipping issues with PPP.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

G.G.

I really hate to complain about something I got for free, but. . .  They were having a give-away on FB which they do a lot and it's pretty cool that they even do that. I won one of their powdercoated enclosures, and again, it was very cool that they put stuff up for the DIY community and make it fun. I almost never win stuff so I was kind of excited about it. The enclosure finally arrived about 3 weeks later and it was hard not to be disappointed. It looked like a blem, the lid didn't fit, and they didn't include any screws. I was disappointed in myself for not appreciating something someone was kind enough to give me, but . . . . :-/

GermanCdn

The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

DutchMF

You could contact ColesBD and see if he can arrange to get the enclosure of your choice powder coated. The colours he has are amazing and the quality is great. You guys are both UK, so the shipping shouldn't be to much I guess.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

hammerheadmusicman

Yeah I spoke to Ben yesterday, I've probably had about 100 boxes from him now! I little while ago I asked if head any looper boxes, he said no, I might see if he can source a couple..

G

Haberdasher

Quote from: G.G. on August 07, 2013, 03:04:07 PM
I really hate to complain about something I got for free, but. . .  They were having a give-away on FB which they do a lot and it's pretty cool that they even do that. I won one of their powdercoated enclosures, and again, it was very cool that they put stuff up for the DIY community and make it fun. I almost never win stuff so I was kind of excited about it. The enclosure finally arrived about 3 weeks later and it was hard not to be disappointed. It looked like a blem, the lid didn't fit, and they didn't include any screws. I was disappointed in myself for not appreciating something someone was kind enough to give me, but . . . . :-/

that reminds me of the old ads from 7-Eleven stores.  "come in for a cup of coffee.  if it's not fresh, you get it free!"  sounds great at first until you relize you're just saving them a trip to the dumpster.  :-\

hey maybe you could make a test rig out of it
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

pedalman

Jump on the fb page and see if the colors are up
If not ask them, they are usually quick

Are you talking about "Bomber Orange" and the cherry ? those are on fb
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

slacker775

I got a wah shell in the new translucent red and I'm liking it.

chromesphere

I got this copper translucent sparkle color form mammoth a while ago.  It looked pretty cool, but you could see all the imperfections of the enclosure through the transcluent powercoating.  That was before I started DIY powder coating.  Yeah, long story short, the person that powder coated my copper colored box didnt apply a silver undercoat for the translucent which is like, a pretty fundamental step.  That was quite a while ago, i dont know if they have picked up their game since then (sounds like they havent!).
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

pickdropper

Quote from: chromesphere on August 08, 2013, 06:38:04 AM
I got this copper translucent sparkle color form mammoth a while ago.  It looked pretty cool, but you could see all the imperfections of the enclosure through the transcluent powercoating.  That was before I started DIY powder coating.  Yeah, long story short, the person that powder coated my copper colored box didnt apply a silver undercoat for the translucent which is like, a pretty fundamental step.  That was quite a while ago, i dont know if they have picked up their game since then (sounds like they havent!).

Well, in fairness to Mammoth, I think that is intentional.  PPP also offers transparent finishes where you can see the imperfections of the alum box underneath the finish.  They clearly state it on their page.  Many of those happen to be my favorite finishes.  I like seeing the aluminum (and it's imperfections) under the finish.  I think it adds character.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

stevie1556

Quote from: pickdropper on August 08, 2013, 12:21:25 PMI like seeing the aluminum (and it's imperfections) under the finish.  I think it adds character.

I'm the same. The Hammond Eddystone boxes look great with a candy colour on top!

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

Haberdasher

i'll just say that hammond box imperfections look a lot better than 4site box imperfections, and leave it at that.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS