News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tayda Quality

Started by chromesphere, August 06, 2013, 12:12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Quote from: chromesphere on August 09, 2013, 12:30:39 AM
Gotta say, order accuaracy with tayda (for me) has been spot on...i dont think i've ever recieved a component mix up!  Would have to be luck...

I get some kind of mixup every couple orders. And usually it's waaaaaay off, like what happened yesterday. I prefer that to a mistake is close enough to almost not notice.

I have gotten a few wrong resistor values in the past, but I'd say 95% of parts are correct. For the price, i'm willing to sacrifice the 5%.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

RobA

Weird, I've never had a single part wrong or missing from Tayda. I'm beginning to wonder if they have multiple spots they ship from. The packages I get have all been shipped to me from one town over, but I'd assumed that they were doing a bulk shipment to there and then they were repacked for local shipment. I'm still guessing that this is what they do, but maybe there's something more involved.

I'm soldering up a distortion this morning, so I had the Ge diodes out and figured I'd test them to see what mine are like. For the 1N34a's, I had about a 4% failure rate with half being dead and the other half having a forward voltage of around 0.9V. Mine were ordered around 4 months ago. I was wondering when the batches of bad diodes were ordered. I'll have to put a few in with my next order from Tayda to see what I get now.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

hammerheadmusicman

I'm going to have some tayda 1n34a in a couple of weeks, they are back home at the moment. I'll test them and post results here.

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

muddyfox

Rob, what can you do with out-of-spec ones? any part of a circuit they are still good enough for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

croquet hoop

I think midwayfair told in another topic that high Fv germanium diodes were great in overdrives and fuzzes (provided they're actually germanium with high Fv, not Si).

RobA

Quote from: croquet hoop on August 09, 2013, 02:59:13 PM
I think midwayfair told in another topic that high Fv germanium diodes were great in overdrives and fuzzes (provided they're actually germanium with high Fv, not Si).
Cool! My broken useless Ge diodes are now "hand selected" distortion beasts.

Seriously though, I need to put these in a breadboard and see how they sound.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

gingataff

If I'm not mistaken a fv of 1-2v is led territory, you might want to try them in some overdrives or distortions if you have sockets.

jkokura

I haven't really experienced any super bad quality on things. Generally, like people have noted, we know we're buying inexpensive, Chinese manufactured, electronic components. I don't think my expectations have been high, but generally the exceed my expectations.

The stuff I've received from Mammoth has been below my expectations occaisionally, but even they have always tried to make things right. Generally, all the companies I've ordered from have been as good as, or better than expectations.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

muddyfox

@ch: cool. i socket all my diodes anyways so some experimentation is gonna happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

chromesphere

Quote from: gingataff on August 09, 2013, 03:23:21 PM
If I'm not mistaken a fv of 1-2v is led territory

That's correct.  So a 1n34a @ 2v is like stringing 3-4 ge's in series I guess. 

My biggest concern is WHY the thing is measuring that high?  A fracture within the PN junction?  I'd hesitant to not even use them incase they start misbehaving. Although you could just keep note that you used one and if the effect starts getting all flakey, swap it out, no big deal.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Comfort Player

Same here on the 1n34s.  I ordered 50 about a month ago. 15 were dead and the lowest reading from any of the others was .74 they gave me a refund.  I used to order quite a bit from them but now it is pretty much TL072s, 1N4001s, and DC jacks.
Silence..... I Keeeeeel youuuuuu....

haveyouseenhim

The only one that even gave a measurement for me came in at an even .5v

Luck, I guess.
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

hammerheadmusicman

The only real mix up I've had is, once I ordered some black stranded wire, and instead they sent green solid core wire. The bonus was, I'd never used solid, really liked it, and have used it ever since.

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

haveyouseenhim

DAG-FLABBIT!!    My only 1n34a just shattered as I was putting it into the socket of my orange squeezer.
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

gingataff

What hfe do you guys get on their 2n5088s?
Mine all measure about 330 which I think is a bit low isn't it?
They're the ones with a tiny "f" to look like fairchild but it's not the same font.

edit: I just read the datasheet and perhaps that's fine. I do have some other 2n5088s that are about 700 though.