News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tayda Quality

Started by chromesphere, August 06, 2013, 12:12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slimtriggers

I've had the little legs of the econo sockets push out as I put them into the holes of the circuit board. 

I've had some resistor legs break, but it's generally from over-handling on my part.  I've been building up a stock of resistors from Mouser with the 200 unit deal, anyway.

Sometimes the threads on the 1/4" jacks are stripped.  I'll order those from BitchesLoveMySwitches from now on.

I've always measured the caps I get from them, and never had a problem.  Always within spec, but the electros do seem a bit cheap compared to name brand. 

Even with the problems, it's still a great resource for the hobbyist.

fendman

Yeh the only down I have had is the 1/4 jack skts they are really poor, but most items I get are fine :)

chromesphere

I seem to recall someone saying those jacks were good so its interesting to see a couple of people saying they aren't.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

croquet hoop

I remember reading that one type of mono jack (stereo insulated with pcb lugs maybe) was fine, and the rest was junk. I got a few to try them, the Neutrik/Switchcraft enclosed knockoffs were okay (although the nut was very thin, but a Switchcraft nut fits and helps a bit), and so was the other one (stereo insulated), safe for the fact that they are meant for panels thicker than the typical enclosure wall, so you have to use an extra washer.

The thing is, their jacks are not exceedingly cheaper than NYS2343's from Mouser, so I just go with that now.

stevie1556

I love the stereo jacks tayda sells, the switched PCB mount ones. Never had a problem with them, and they seem the same quality as the ones I get from Rapid Electronics, but a much cheaper price. I also love their pots and knobs, can't fault them, especially at the prices they are!

I find the LED holders are complete and utter crap, and would rather spend a fair bit more to get better ones.

Just got loads of resistors from them, they seem ok and they few I've used I've had no problems with. The box caps, haven't used them yet, but look good quality.

I've never read anything good about their 3PDT switches, but there is a seller in China that sells them on eBay cheap, and I've used at least 50 of them and never had a problem.

All in all though, I would be lost without Tayda!

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

chromesphere

Quote from: stevie1556 on August 06, 2013, 10:10:10 AM
Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

Me too.  I cringe at the idea of shopping back at futurlec / jaycar.... :|

The box film caps are Kemet branded by the way (except for the red/pink colored ones which are wima). Both brands are perfectly fine (from my experience).

Paul

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: chromesphere on August 06, 2013, 12:12:34 AM
I ordered some 1n34a's from them. They looked a little different to the ones i've bought before (a small black band on one side, instead of thick dark green band).  Bending one of the leads snapped it off.  I wasnt using that much force either.  Tried another one, this time even more carefully.  Glass cracked.  The diode still works, but yeah, the quality is concerning.

I just had this issue. I had a bag of 5 and only one gave any reading on the diode tester. The ones that were dead would shatter with the slightest pressure. I also have some 1n270 and they all tested correctly and were in spec.

Thanks for the heads up. It saved a headache on my orange squeezer.
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

gingataff

I had a bag of dead 1n34as as well, most were cloudy and some slightly misshapen.

Sent from my SC-02B using Tapatalk 2

culturejam

Forgot to mention that I got a bad batch of 5v regulators from them a couple years ago. Took me weeks to figure out that I wasn't going moronic with my breadboarding skills.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

RobA

Has anyone had good 1n34's from them lately? I bought about 50 from them a bit ago and they've all tested/worked fine.

One the side of low quality being a good thing, I got some of their PCB blanks and I've just etched them to do some breakout modules. The board feels pretty cheap but etches fine and it is so much easier to drill than some of the good PCB blanks I have.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

culturejam

Got my order in today. Classic Tayda:

I ordered 1n5 box caps, and instead I got screw-type terminal blocks.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

chromesphere

Gotta say, order accuaracy with tayda (for me) has been spot on...i dont think i've ever recieved a component mix up!  Would have to be luck...

slacker775

Order accuracy has always been great for me too..... Until yesterday.   My 8n2 caps are 240nFs...    Sigh

alanp

Only issues I've had are box cap values. Everything else is normally right.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

muddyfox

same here. i get what i order every time.
their 1n34as however... got 20 in the last order, all measuring over 2v. 20 in the order before that, half dead half at way over 1v.
i got store credit refund on both without question but i need my germs. :)
-any lead on verified sources for 34a's?
-any use for those high voltage ones or can i just forward them to the thrash can?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2