News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

apparently the solution sometimes really is a bigger hammer ... or poltergeists

Started by midwayfair, August 05, 2013, 03:38:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

I had a pedal go microphonic on me ... Tried literally everything I could think of but toughing the circuit board or jostling the pedal kept bleeding into the audio. I actually pinpointed the spot in the circuit where the noise was coming from, and despite removing every component connected to a voltage source, the sound wouldn't go away ...

So I soldered it back together, reflowed all the solder, noise was still there.

Since I couldn't think of anything else to do, I decided to hit the pedal on the rug.

Noise went away.

Wtf.

Well, assuming that it meant there must be some sort of loose connection or something, I tried to make the noise reappear. Nope, nothing. I tried dropping it on the floor again, tossed it around into the sofa, shook it, everything. No noise. It's like it was never there.

Now I'm scared of the pedal because clearly it's alive and conscious and out to get me.

Can't sleep, pedal will eat me ...

Matt

Gene Simmons is behind this I'm sure of it!  (Wondering if anyone will get the reference)
Matt

jimilee

Or worse, start a revolution with all tour other electronics in tow
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Haberdasher

if a sirloin starts inching across your countertop call me immediately and i'll bring a flamethrower and loaded baked potatoes
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

ch1naski

I used to kick my Thomas Crybaby's whenever they acted up. Nine out of ten times, it worked.

Short term, at least. :P

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
one louder.

lincolnic

To quote one of my engineering mentors: one kick is maintenance, two kicks is abuse.

Stomptown

And I thought I'd tried everything! Time to pull out the box of fail and my biggest hammer!

Gledison

Thats what happened pinpointing something! U have just re discovered the voodoo on it pedal! 😜
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

DutchMF

Quote from: lincolnic on August 05, 2013, 04:21:43 AM
To quote one of my engineering mentors: one kick is maintenance, two kicks is abuse.
And three kicks is usually enough....  ;D

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"