News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tone transfer using adhesive backing paper

Started by Gledison, August 04, 2013, 07:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gledison

Hello everyone!
I've got two successful tone transfer using magazine paper and a lazerjet printer. Somehow, couldn't get it right anymore! I've changed to adhesive backing and the transfer seems much easier, even with lower temperature BUT, is still not working as it should, I got all the toner transferred from the backing, BUT, its not perfect on the pcb.  my guess is that the toner print is not good enough.
here is the picture after transfer...

any help?
cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

Ettore_M

I got the best results with INKJET photo paper. Don't get confused! The usual way of printing the transfer on a LASER printer, but using inkjet photo paper. It takes a little more time, but the toner transfer gets out just perfect!

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

Gledison

Quote from: Ettore_M on August 04, 2013, 07:49:58 PM
I got the best results with INKJET photo paper. Don't get confused! The usual way of printing the transfer on a LASER printer, but using inkjet photo paper. It takes a little more time, but the toner transfer gets out just perfect!

Hector
Thanks Hector. I should try that. however, after I transferred the toner from the adhesive backing paper,i cannot see any tonner on the paper anymore, it seems that is all transferred...
I will try with inkjet photopaper and see how it goes..
cheers

croquet hoop

Check your printer settings, choose "best quality" is available. Or you can try to print the same sheet twice.

atreidesheir

Hector and I do it the same way.  The printer paper just lets go of the toner.  It makes for a huge difference.

I always allow the copper to get really hot.  I do it more than needed.  Then place the board in a bowl of cool soapy water.  I use dish soap.  Let it soak for about an hour.  Then peel the paper off by hand.  I rub it with my thumb.  Then anything that does not come off I use a toothbrush and brush it on the pcb using dish soap applied directly to the pcb then using the brush.  My boards look good after this.

I have used magazine paper and regular printer paper.  Magazine paper failed for me and regular printer paper turned out better for me.  But you have to brush more to get rid of the paper fiber in the toner,
With photo paper ther is never paper fiber in the toner.  I have a lot of printer paper copies of boards I will use and it is no big hassle.
You will have to find the method that works for you, and then it is easy forever.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

Gledison

Quote from: croquet hoop on August 04, 2013, 09:19:07 PM
Check your printer settings, choose "best quality" is available. Or you can try to print the same sheet twice.

hey, actually im doing that. ive tried to print twice but I couldn't get the second print to print exactly on the top of the other. any hint in how to do it? this will increase the toner amount and maybe a better transfer.
cheers

Ettore_M

Quote from: Gledison on August 04, 2013, 10:21:13 PM

hey, actually im doing that. ive tried to print twice but I couldn't get the second print to print exactly on the top of the other. any hint in how to do it? this will increase the toner amount and maybe a better transfer.
cheers
This won't work. I don't think it's even possible to print a toner transfer onto another.
Simply be sure to print your sheet in best quality, because this way, the toner just gets thicker.
If you don't get a good enough transfer, try another printer and/or another kind of paper.

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

BuGG

Here's my secret weapon:

Staples Color Laser Paper, Gloss Finish

Try some.    ;)

chromesphere

cheers

Did you do this for the photographed transfer (print twice)?  If so, theresyour problem.  Your never going o be able to line up one transfer DIRECTLY onto of another.  Dont even try.  Just do 1 heavy print and transfer it.  Your also never going to get perfect results.  Well, not without alot of experience.  Intially you just want something that works, test it, and build your effect up.
Your printer will also determine how good your transfer will be.  HP's generally work well.  Older hp laserjets are reportedly better then newer ones for example.
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Gledison

Quote from: chromesphere on August 05, 2013, 02:21:49 AM

cheers

Did you do this for the photographed transfer (print twice)?  If so, theresyour problem.  Your never going o be able to line up one transfer DIRECTLY onto of another.  Dont even try.  Just do 1 heavy print and transfer it.  Your also never going to get perfect results.  Well, not without alot of experience.  Intially you just want something that works, test it, and build your effect up.
Your printer will also determine how good your transfer will be.  HP's generally work well.  Older hp laserjets are reportedly better then newer ones for example.
Paul
No Paul, i´ve never treid that but i´ve read that some people manage to do it, dont know how..:P
I managed to make 2 pcbs using first a glossy photo paper and the second with magazine paper (the best result so far). Somehow i couldnt reproduece the results. several , several trials. than  i followed ur sugestion of adhesive backing paper. It seems that all toner is transfered , because of no residue left on the siliconized part of the backing paper. I print with a lexmark printer in high toner density (max)
I dont know, if due to the fact that im copying pasting several times to fit in a A4 and the resolution is somehow messed up. now im trying to print the direct page from madbean and see how it goes.. i will try next to print in a professional shop (1 euro per page) maybe the toner quality will do the job.... My iron setings for the magazine are not the hotest. Too hot, i getto much melted toner and it blurs the pcb. i found the best temp to be 80% of the heating capacity.  for the adhesive backing, seems that has to be much less temperature.. Its wierd, because all toner disapear from the backing paer, but as you see in the pic i posted, doesnt come decently for etching.... Damn, it , one of the parts that i enjoyd the most...

hammerheadmusicman

I've only had good results with PnP blue. But that is only on certain printers. The copier at the local shop I used to use, was awful, and was a nightmare, I was filling in the gaps with sharpie everytime, I does work but is a major PITA.

Then I found the printer in the university works like a charm, perfect every time!

Experiment, and you'll find the way that works for you!
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

Gledison

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on August 05, 2013, 11:22:11 AM
I've only had good results with PnP blue. But that is only on certain printers. The copier at the local shop I used to use, was awful, and was a nightmare, I was filling in the gaps with sharpie everytime, I does work but is a major PITA.

Then I found the printer in the university works like a charm, perfect every time!

Experiment, and you'll find the way that works for you!
you r totally right! im experimenting A LOOoot! :(
thats why im being a bit annoyed. i´ve managed to do a very nice transfer using magazine paper and my office lexmark printer. the problem is : does not work anymore! i dont know if the tonner is not printing with the same quality as before. Maybe i was just lucky! More i read, more i see people sugesting the Staple glossy paper! , as well the PnP blue you´ve mentioned. my first with magazine paper was so incredible nice that i thought i got the thing! damnt it!

croquet hoop

It may be obvious, but there are different qualities of paper in the same magazine. Have you used the same page and got different results, or did you use different pages ?

chromesphere

I wouldn't copy paste.  Try again and print directly onto the transfer from adobe.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

wgc

Looks like you have a burr on the edge of your pcb where you're missing toner.  Could make it hard for you to get enough pressure and heat in that area.  Also, make sure your copper is clean.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings