News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A populated PCB is like a small city

Started by GhostofJohnToad, August 03, 2013, 02:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

This is what my 7 yo calls them...little cities. Just one more year until I put a soldering iron in her hands!

muddyfox

my little one is five... i always wondered how one comes up with a solder iron appropriate age for girls and what project would make her like it. any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DutchMF

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on August 04, 2013, 05:31:34 AM
Does it make me a bad person for hoping that she would touch a capacitor? Or maybe the flyback transformer when it's on? ;D

No it does not! I've been in Iceland, and it's a wonderfully beautiful country, but the people.... I hope they did learn something from the economic crisis (Icelands economy is/was built on banks and cheap/easy electric power. Oh, and some fishing...) because I've only met one friendly Icelandic guy. Runar, if you're reading this, you made our trip!! (If anybody is planning a trip to Iceland, please go! It's more than worth it and a lot cheaper now...)

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Gledison

Quote from: Haberdasher on August 04, 2013, 02:39:46 PM
LOL.  You know what?  Never mind.  I no longer think pcb's look like little cities, and it's all Bjork's fault.

Listening to her makes me feel like

Lol, totally agree!!ehhehehe
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

RobA

Quote from: muddyfox on August 04, 2013, 03:15:35 PM
my little one is five... i always wondered how one comes up with a solder iron appropriate age for girls and what project would make her like it. any tips?

I don't have any specific info or projects, but Adafruit and SparkFun have DIY kits aimed at lots of different interests and ages. You might be able to find something appropriate and interesting at one of them. SparkFun has learning to solder kits too (Adafruit may as well, but I haven't checked there).

http://www.adafruit.com
https://www.sparkfun.com
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Bret608

Ha, I hear you, Paul! We just went to Iceland in June. Really creative, quirky people. Actually, what I found is that younger people tended to be more friendly and open (especially outside Reykjavik), whereas older people were a bit more reserved and cranky. I guess that could be true anywhere, though.

I wonder if there are any pedal builders there? I think I saw a DIY chorus on Reverb.com that was made by a guy in Iceland.

But yes, go if you can! FYI, you can have a guaranteed Haberdasher avatar sighting--there's a bar on Laugavegur in Reykjavik (the main shopping/bar hopping area) called Lebowski bar, complete with El Duderino on the sandwich board!

DutchMF

Quote from: Bret608 on August 05, 2013, 02:57:52 PM
Ha, I hear you, Paul! We just went to Iceland in June. Really creative, quirky people. Actually, what I found is that younger people tended to be more friendly and open (especially outside Reykjavik), whereas older people were a bit more reserved and cranky. I guess that could be true anywhere, though.
I probably should have added that I was there in 2005, a lot can happen in 8 years...

But yes, go if you can! FYI, you can have a guaranteed Haberdasher avatar sighting--there's a bar on Laugavegur in Reykjavik (the main shopping/bar hopping area) called Lebowski bar, complete with El Duderino on the sandwich board!
This made me laugh! There is a bar called Lebowski in my hometown Utrecht. Never been there, as I actually don't like White Russians  ;D

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

das234

Shhh!  Everyone be quiet for a second.  My head is trying to calculate all the little hypnotic electron lights. 

Bret608

Quote from: DutchMF on August 05, 2013, 03:28:43 PM
I probably should have added that I was there in 2005, a lot can happen in 8 years...

This made me laugh! There is a bar called Lebowski in my hometown Utrecht. Never been there, as I actually don't like White Russians  ;D

Paul

Actually I did feel kind of bad for people; you really get the feeling that the economic crisis shook their confidence. I wasn't there before 2008 so I can't compare.

I think we need to try and get Bjork into DIY pedal building, as she's into city-like PCBs and clearly likes to demystify how things work! I'll go ahead and make a call or two to get that ball rolling...