News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fine tuning a ChunkChunk?

Started by Mark_McQ, February 07, 2011, 06:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark_McQ

Just finished my build and it's fantastic. When I first fired it up, I was a little underwhelmed. Had a lot of gain, but the low end was a bit 'wooly' when chugging away on the low E, sounded more like a fuzz pedal. But once I backed the gain off to just over halfway, it tightens up beautifully.
I was looking at the Boogie 57 build on GuitarPCB and it uses 2n5457's to lower the gain. Anyone tried it on the ChunkChunk?
An are there any ideal settings for the trimmers that I should pursue for fine tuning it? I set them all to 4.5v as specified in the build doc.

madbean

I would mark the positions of your trimpots with a sharpie and start playing with them. IIRC, the 1st trimpot had the most effect in terms of adjusting the overall tone/balls on this thing.

jkokura

4.5v is a good starting point. On my most recent build it worked awesome at that setting. On an earlier non-madbean board it wasn't any good, and I had to play with the trimmers to get it to sound better.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

brainbender

I've built this thing, but I simply can't bias it (spent one hour probably)...  ::)
I checked all solder joints and everything, and it seems to be ok.

I'm thinking about etching another board, or maybe i should try 2n5457's? ???

Mark_McQ

It's a surprisingly versatile pedal. On my Les Paul neck pickup, you can get that nice Gary moore sound. Switch to the bridge and it's late 80's Anthrax/Testament.
Then on my Ibanez with the coil tap switches turned on, you get a very good Yngwie sound.
It doesn't quite have the same low end as my amps gain channel, but it's heavy enough anyway.

Now I'm just waiting on my Uproar board and components to get here for build #2.  8)