Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Water slide decals, oh how I hate thee

Started by GhostofJohnToad, July 31, 2013, 12:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Quote from: bcalla on July 31, 2013, 12:43:31 PM
Quote from: Vallhagen on July 31, 2013, 07:30:07 AM
fwiw, i never clearcoat Before i apply the decal.

Ditto.  I use laser decals now, but even before I got my laser I never clearcoated first.
this works with inkjet also, but the colors aren't nearly as vivid.;-)
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

GhostofJohnToad

Well I'm going  to get some different paper, I think testors quality control may be the issue.  Early on I had no issues, but it seems like this new pack just sucks.

Gledison

Im using lazer print decal and does not require the first clear coat process! I dont know if i was lucky ( im not a lucky guy) but it work great and u can grab ur finger to adjust it iver the substrate with no problem! Have u tried the lazer print ones?
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

billstein

Has anybody tried the sheets Smallbear sells?

GhostofJohnToad

I have not tried laser.  I don't have access to one.  Stuck with ink jet for the moment. Curious about the smallbear paper as well.

Bret608

I've used the clear waterslide from Small Bear. It's good quality--any goofs were due strictly to me.

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: GhostofJohnToad on July 31, 2013, 04:57:29 PM
I have not tried laser.  I don't have access to one.  Stuck with ink jet for the moment. Curious about the smallbear paper as well.

Get a graphic and I'll get one lasered for you.
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

ch1naski

I've had issues where the edges would curl up as it slid off the backing paper....unless the edges had ink printing on them. So now I always print a border and cut at the edges of the border.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
one louder.

pryde

Quote from: GhostofJohnToad on July 31, 2013, 04:57:29 PM

I tried the Smallbear stuff and honestly it was very stretchy compared to PPP stuff. I could not get along with it very well. But YMMV, never know till you give it a try

gtr2

I use Micro-Mark decal paper (lazer), I've had very good success with it.  I've done some very large 1590DD enclosures without stretching issues.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

pedalman

Any problems I had with Testors was usually due to rushing the process
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

Pointy

I have some laser decal paper from decalpaper.com, and I'm not very happy with it. The decals are extremely fragile.

However, I recently picked up a 10-sheet pack of bake-on laser decal paper from papilio.com, and I'm very impressed. The decal plastic seems *much* sturdier.  I also bought a little squirt bottle of "decal mounting fluid", which is a somewhat goopy substance that makes it way easy to arrange the decal after placement. Even after most of the decal mounting goop dries, it's still possible to work bubbles out from under the decal. Baking the decal on seems to seal it very securely; even a test decal on which I did an absolutely terrible job baked on quite firmly even though it has huge bubbles in it.

I also ordered a cheap printmaking roller ("brayer") for bubble removal, as that's a pain in the neck.

Jean-Rock

I ordered papillo paper like Pointy. I get it from ebay. It's just great and it never failed....exept when I apply a very tiny logo on the front.....but it's my fault....maybe I should try the stuff mentioned in the previous reply...

Smallbear sheets seem good, but I still have a bad experience with it.....probably because I just ordered 2 sheets and it's been damage in the shipping  >:(

You can safely buy from this link : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/10-Sheets-Waterslide-Decal-Paper-You-Choose-White-or-Clear-Inkjet-or-Laser-/110908378050?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item19d2a78bc2

They take care when they ship the merch and they give good service !

Cheers !
Jonny Rock the "French Canadian"

Affiliation : Jonny Rock Gear

http://www.jonnyrockgear.com

Jean-Rock

Quote from: jonnyrockgear on August 06, 2013, 03:20:51 PM

They take care when they ship the merch and they give good service !

Cheers !

And most of all....they're not 2$ each sheet !! That's a point !  ;)
Jonny Rock the "French Canadian"

Affiliation : Jonny Rock Gear

http://www.jonnyrockgear.com

chromesphere

Hey Toad, you might already know all this, maybe your problems are the brand of paper your using, or something like that.  Just thought i would put it in for you / anyone else having trouble with waterslides.
Dont get me wrong, im not a pro at it.  I still have the odd  ??? moment.  But i have gotten much better at it with practice.  Hope it helps!

Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube