News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Help identifying Fuzz Face trimmer size

Started by Bret608, July 30, 2013, 03:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of building an NPN hybrid Fuzz Face on vero. See the following link and scroll down to the NPN Fuzz Face layout:

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2010/03/few-veros.html

Can someone let me know what size trimmer that is? I laid out one of the usual Bourns 3362-types on the actual board and it's at least two rows smaller that what appears here. Would a 9mm from Small Bear be appropriate?

Thanks!

Bret

DutchMF

I've been told that vero usually has a .1" pitch, which translates to 2.54mm. Since the trimmer is straddling 5 row, that would amount to 12.7mm. Now, I've never handled vero in my life, but I think the 9mm ones might be too small. You need some big-ass trimmers, dude! Or, improvise with a regular pot and some wire/diode leads.....

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Bret608

Dude, thanks for applying your knowledge to this! It would not have occurred to me at all to approach it this way. I'll see what I can find; I may just end up with a 9mm and solder a little extra lead to one leg as you suggest.

Bret608

Unceremonious dredge!

I did get one of our usual, small blue trimmers to work on this layout by bending the legs out a bit. Looking at this layout and then some pics at Tagboard, I think his trimmers are laid out a bit differently too. He's got one leg not connected. Just comparing and contrasting with Brian's Mangler layout, I think leg 1 should be on the row that connects to the 10nf cap, leg 3 should go to the Q2 collector, and leg 2 wouldn't be connected. Is that right?

Just double checking--seems like I wasn't getting much change out of the 10k trimmer I used (Q2 collector didn't vary much off of 5v), but I haven't had a chance to play with it much.