News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tubes, where to buy?

Started by Matt, July 28, 2013, 08:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

What's the best online place to buy tubes?  I have had difficulties with receiving bad tubes from time to time.
Matt

Haberdasher

tubedepot
thetubestore
dougstubes

I haven't had a bad experience with any of the above, although I don't buy mounds of tubes like some people.
I'll be curious to see what everyone else says.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

oldhousescott

Mike at KCA NOS tubes is reputable as well. I've also used Eurotubes, although all he stocks is JJ Electronics.

jolly1423

If you like JJ's I highly recommend Eurotubes as well.

pryde

tubedepot is reliable.

I also have good luck with antique electronic supply:
http://www.tubesandmore.com/

Mike B.

I've had good luck with all of the above, but my preference is Doug's Tubes. You just email him what amp you have and the tone you're going for. He's never steered me wrong.

jubal81

Quote from: Mike B. on July 28, 2013, 09:15:19 PM
I've had good luck with all of the above, but my preference is Doug's Tubes. You just email him what amp you have and the tone you're going for. He's never steered me wrong.

I know a lot of people swear by Doug's, but of the two tubes I got from him, one died within a week and the other was microphonic as all get out. He was really nice when I called about it, but it was shortly after Sandy and he was going through a rough time so I just ate it.

YMMV, of course, because he does have such a good reputation.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

atreidesheir

There are always duds i the percentages.  Doug is my main source.

But there is a guy on the Gear Page goes by Tejas Tubes.  I have gotten some great almost new TADS and Tung SOls for 75% off new prices.  All checked as good and sound great.  He might have something you need.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: pryde on July 28, 2013, 08:58:34 PM
tubedepot is reliable.

I also have good luck with antique electronic supply:
http://www.tubesandmore.com/

They are great. Just one thing that you MUST do when ordering from them. Call and make sure they have the item in stock. They are really bad about having 'In Stock' in green letters, but they are out of stock and it holds up your order till they get them in. And they don't even let you know.

Good prices and speedy shipping, but there's that one hangup.
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

Stomptown

+1 for Eurotubes if you like JJ's. I live near them and have been out to their shop s couple times and they are great guys and very knowledgeable and friendly. They even tested some old NOS tubes for me on one occasion free of charge!

ch1naski

And another vote for antique electronics supply.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

derevaun

Might be worth noting that Antique Electronic Supply has 10% off everything for the rest of July. I've had good dealings with them so far (fast and cheap shipping); thanks for the heads up on potential out-of-stock sadness.

steveperiod

another vote here for antique electronics supply / tubesandmore.com. i've used them for years for all my tubes and a bunch of amplifier parts.

davent

When i first started out messing with tubes i would call in an order to thetubestore in the morning and walk over in the afternoon to pick them up. Now, just about every tube in use around here is something picked up on ebay. Nothing wrong with thetubestore, also good for coupling caps, electro-caps and tube sockets as well, tube boxes ...

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Matt

Thanks to all who replied.  Looks like there are a couple reliable options to choose from. 

Anyone had issues from a specific brand of tube more than from others?
Matt