News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Finding pots like these?

Started by Beedoola, July 25, 2013, 11:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beedoola

From a Menatone Red Snapper. Look like 12mm but right angle PCB mount.

croquet hoop

I'm not sure what the advantage is over Alpha 9mm pots, which are also board mounted. But I'm curious about these now  ;D

Scruffie

Argh, I looked for these forever when I got a memory toy someone had broken the pot shaft off on (EHX sent me to a distributor who quoted me something stupid like £20-30 for a replacement pot) but I think, if you search FreeStompBoxes, someone (after i'd sold it) did link me to a supplier in the thread I started about these.
Works at Lectric-FX

Beedoola

Quote from: croquet hoop on July 26, 2013, 01:51:53 AM
I'm not sure what the advantage is over Alpha 9mm pots, which are also board mounted. But I'm curious about these now  ;D

I mean, I guess I could use those but I bought this pedal cheap cause two of the pots where broken. My plan is to fix it and flip it so I don't have to have the exact pots but I thought it was perhaps more "ethical" or being consistent with the stock parts used.

3petedt

Smallbear and Mammoth (both US based) carry these

hammerheadmusicman

Quote from: Beedoola on July 26, 2013, 02:31:47 AM

I mean, I guess I could use those but I bought this pedal cheap cause two of the pots where broken. My plan is to fix it and flip it so I don't have to have the exact pots but I thought it was perhaps more "ethical" or being consistent with the stock parts used.

I would say, working pots are working pots, as long as the value and taper are correct, and they are good quality, does it make much of a difference?

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

Stomptown

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on July 27, 2013, 03:55:27 PM

I would say, working pots are working pots, as long as the value and taper are correct, and they are good quality, does it make much of a difference?

George

I agree with George and would just go with some 16mm alphas; especially if the spacing for the mounts is the same. They are good quality and I suspect the ones on there are not if two pots went out. Are there any more pots on the board? If so, i would replace them all myself...

Beedoola

Quote from: Stomptown on July 28, 2013, 02:57:34 AM
Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on July 27, 2013, 03:55:27 PM

George

I agree with George and would just go with some 16mm alphas; especially if the spacing for the mounts is the same. They are good quality and I suspect the ones on there are not if two pots went out. Are there any more pots on the board? If so, i would replace them all myself...

the two pots in the photo are the remaining "good" pots. I emailed Menatone to see if they could point me to their source for those pots but the guy said he had them specially made for him and doesn't have any more.

So you're suggesting using 16mm? I tried putting one up to the PCB and the 16mm overhangs and would case the PCB not to be able to fit back in the enclosure. I think I'll go with the 9mm PCB mount. I'm guessing these will work...

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/25k-ohm-linear-taper-potentiometer-round-shaft-pcb-9mm.html