News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fuzz Bomb (contest entry) and demo

Started by pryde, July 25, 2013, 06:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

Introducing the Fuzz Bomb: PCB is the 1776 5 o'clock fuzz.  Custom etched enclosure. The transistors are from chromesphere (AC 125). Thanks! They sound great BTW. I added the pre-gain control as I do with all fuzz face builds. It really helps the low gain settings to sound warm. I really dig the treble bleed mod that Josh put on the pcb, another great mod to add versatility. I also modded the circuit to Mayer specs to squeeze more gain from it as well.

I tried to use etchant creatively with this build to "relic" the pedal to give it a sort of war-torn appearance. Notice the bullet indentations as well as the rustic yellowing on the rivet patterns. I have had the old jewel light for a long time and its aging is authentic. I thought it was a perfect fit for this pedal. Enjoy.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/jpparlier/fuzz-bomb[/soundcloud]

fendman

Welll where do you start??  The etch is brilliant..down to the top of the knobs and the stomp switch and the slight wear here and there. and then you go inside and it is as old as the front of the enclosure with that big jewel of an led.

Listening to the sound track at the same time you get a great feel for what you are looking at.

Very nicely done, you are giving pickdropper (Dave) a big challenge with this one.

Brilliant

Mike

midwayfair

Bret608

This looks and sounds great! What did those Roger Mayer mods involve, parts-wise? Big fan of his work.

cooder

Fantastic look and simply da bomb...!
What pot value are you using for pre-gain if I mayn ask? 50 KB? cheers
BigNoise Amplification

midwayfair

Quote from: Bret608 on July 25, 2013, 07:34:16 PM
This looks and sounds great! What did those Roger Mayer mods involve, parts-wise? Big fan of his work.

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/fuzzface/fffram.htm

The big one is the 1K in place of the 470R, which boosts the mids and the output. I actually go even bigger on that one, usually 2.2K or 4.7K.

Vallhagen

This one is reeeeeally good looking! Great tasty etch indeed!

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

pryde

Quote from: cooder on July 25, 2013, 07:34:53 PM
Fantastic look and simply da bomb...!
What pot value are you using for pre-gain if I mayn ask? 50 KB? cheers

Yes a 50kb works well. you could also use a 100k with good results. just wire in series between the 3pdt and pcb input.

For the Mayer mod I did 1k in place of the 470R then used a 2k fuzz pot. You may also need to increase the trim pot to 50k to get the transistor bias back in range ~4.5v. It does add a good amount of additional gain which is good used in conjunction with the pre-gain mod. (wider range in both directions)

jimilee

Fantastic looking! All I can do is enviro, when's the etching class? I got no laser printer, is this a must have or is there an easier way with an inkjet?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jkokura

Don't take that within 1 mile of an airport.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pryde

Quote from: jimilee on July 25, 2013, 09:27:40 PM
Fantastic looking! All I can do is enviro, when's the etching class? I got no laser printer, is this a must have or is there an easier way with an inkjet?

Yep you need a laser printer. Look in your local classifieds, I found mine for $20. Its just a basic Samsung but that is all you need. I would be glad to share my limited knowledge with you if you score one  8)

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

Quote from: pryde on July 25, 2013, 10:17:59 PM
Quote from: jimilee on July 25, 2013, 09:27:40 PM

Yep you need a laser printer. Look in your local classifieds, I found mine for $20. Its just a basic Samsung but that is all you need. I would be glad to share my limited knowledge with you if you score one  8)
Thanks pryde, you're the go to  guy!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

lincolnic

raulduke

Fantastic etch and build.

Love the creativity on this dude!