News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

SMD components

Started by stevie1556, July 25, 2013, 07:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevie1556

I've recently got one of Pauls LPB1 booster SMD kits and I'm planning on building it today. So last night I was sitting there in front of the TV and watching youtube videos on how to solder them, and with solder paste and a hot air gun it looks extremely easy and quick. I stsrted looking for SMD components, 100 resistors for £0.16, or 100 metal film through hole resistors for £1.20. Capacitors are fairly cheap as well. However, I'm struggling to find IC's and transistors, mainly the TL062, 072, 074, LM308 for the IC's, and MPF102, 2N5457, 5458, 3034, etc. Anyone know of a good source for them?

Just thinking it's probably quicker to populate a board using solder paste and a hot air gun, cheaper, and could panalise boards with iTead easier.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

hammerheadmusicman

Tayda sell some, can't remember what though.

Chromosphere sells the j201 on his web store too
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

croquet hoop

Mouser has all the ICs you want. I think the diodes we usually use are a bit harder to find in SMD package though.

pickdropper

Quote from: croquet hoop on July 25, 2013, 11:05:25 AM
Mouser has all the ICs you want. I think the diodes we usually use are a bit harder to find in SMD package though.

Mouser and Digikey are where I prefer to order from.

Which diodes are you having a hard time finding?  Germaniums are out, but many of the others have SMT versions.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

croquet hoop

I don't know what I did wrong when I searched for them a few weeks ago, but I've just tried again to find a few common diodes, and they are indeed easy to find. My mistake. Once you find them, it's just a matter of choosing the right package.

RobA

When you are searching for them, sometimes they have slightly different names and that can make them a bit difficult to search for. For example, the BS170 is an MMBF170. The spec sheets for them will often have the alternate SMD name in them.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

pickdropper

Quote from: croquet hoop on July 25, 2013, 12:17:01 PM
I don't know what I did wrong when I searched for them a few weeks ago, but I've just tried again to find a few common diodes, and they are indeed easy to find. My mistake. Once you find them, it's just a matter of choosing the right package.

Yes, that is indeed important.  Diodes, in particular, come in a lot of different packages.
Function f(x)

stevie1556

Completely forgot to reply to this, sorry guys!

I never thought of checking the datasheets for the different package types, and as a result I've found all the transistors that I need a part from one. After using google, I don't think the MPF102 comes in SMD. It's a bit of a pain as that transistor sounds amazing in my booster. Going to have to try and find a good substitute. Also, I can't find the 1N914 diodes anyway in SMD, and after checking the datasheet I don't think they do them in SMD.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

hammerheadmusicman

J201 and 1n4148 both com in SMD :)
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

stevie1556

I'm going to be ordering some J201's for a Boogie build from Chromesphere sometime in the near future.

Good news is that I've just found the 1N914 diode in SMD form! The part number is MMBD914, but the only problem is has 3 pins. Going to study the datasheet for it now though. *Scrap that, just found you only need pins 1 and 3*.

pickdropper

The nice thing about 3 pin SMT diodes is that it is harder to put them in backwards.  :-)

The other neat thing is that you can get dual diodes in that same little package.  With some diodes, you can actually get them setup in a clipping diode configuration, which is kind of neat for a single chip.
Function f(x)

stevie1556

That is a good point, they will never be installed backwards!

Got another question, my usual supplier for 99% of my components has some cheap electro caps, which would be ideal but I'm having trouble finding the footprint for the part in the libraries. I've been looking at the datasheet and just got even more confused! The ones I have found are http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/SMD-Standard-electrolytic-85-deg-C-capacitors-71098. If anyone more knowledgeable then me wouldn't mind having a look and pointing me in the direction of a library and part, that would be absolutely fantastic!

pickdropper

I am sure there is a library part for it, but I'll have to look into it.  I've never used an electrolytic on one of my SMT layouts.  I always use Tantalum or Ceramic.
Function f(x)

croquet hoop

Default Eagle library > rcl > a bunch of Aluminum electrolytic capacitors SMD (as per the description) near the top of the list. Check the datasheet to be sure you're choosing the right part.

As a matter of fact, I'm using some of these electro caps as thru-hole caps, so I just use the usual thru-hole footprint with 0.1" spacing, but I guess in your case, the point is to not use thru-hole parts.

stevie1556

Pickdropper - If I used Tantalum ones instead of the electros it wouldn't have any affect on the sound/function? I remember doing something on them either in school of college electronics but can't remember if there was much difference of not. If not, then that would be perfect as I can get upto 47uF Tantalum ones cheap, and I'm guessing the amount of board space they take up is minimal compared to an electro.

Croquet hoop - I've looked in there, as well as a lot of different libraries, then looked at the data sheet, and it just got me even more confused then I already am! I could do what you're doing, but I wanted the whole board in SMD, as i think it will look neater and possibly quicker to build. Thing is, I love the sound of the MPF102 in a booster, but as that doesn't come in a SMD package, I'm now trying to find something that would be a good equivalent.