News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

powering a multiple pedal build

Started by icecycle66, July 24, 2013, 04:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecycle66

When building multiple pedals into one enclosure, when do you need to add additional powering sources.

Let's say I am building an Afterlife, Fatpants, Zero Point DD, Mudbunny, Stage Fright, Low Rider, and a Cheryr Bomb all at 9v.  (These are random, I'm not actually doing this.)

At what point does one 9v power source, from the wall, stop being enough to power all these?
How do I measure how much juice each circuit is pulling from the power source and how much each circuit needs?

midwayfair

It's the same as determining what can be daisy chained off your power supply.

You need to figure out the current draw of each circuit. You can estimate it or measure it. To measure it, your multimeter should have a ampere measurement. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lwZkl0yBqA

Most multimeters tell you how many amps they can handle, and for how long.

Then you need to determine if your power source can supply enough current for all the pedals at once. The power supply itself will tell you how many miliamps it can supply. A One Spot for instance can supply 1900mA. That's a lot.

Finally, you have to make a decision if you want pedals requiring more than 50mA or with digital circuitry to run on the same daisy chain as everything else. Typically the answer is "not if you can avoid it."

jimilee

How do you determine the need if the madbean pedals? Do you build the pedal and measure or does Brian have this information somewhere that I am not seeing because I am slow and over 40?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jkokura

I think it's not something that's been measured in particular yet, but it could be... Jimi...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jimilee

I was just wondering his same thing, but somebody else asked the question out loud, so I figured I'd chime in also. I think it's a great question given all the multipedals we've seen.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

hammerheadmusicman

Perhaps we could start a sticky thread, where people can post the magic number for the effects? As i'm sure a lot of people would find this information useful.

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..