News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

5e3 amp build

Started by jtn191, July 21, 2013, 08:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtn191

Hey guys, been away from the forum for a while...
But I built this amp!!
Used the Tubedepot pcb, sourced my own parts (mostly through them). 40 watt tremolux OT and 6L6s(one of my heroes used one...turns out it was for running 2 4x12s!!). It's supposedly ~25W.  Mmk I'm gonna go back to playing it now.

pryde

Congrats on a great amp build!

I have built a few different amps but my 5e3 remains one of my favs.

jtn191

Nice, which others have you built?

alanp

It's a great feeling when an amp powers up and makes a good noise, a? The wiring is pretty good, those caketins are not easy to work in!

I've got a 5e3 head (run it through 2xG12H30's) and a 5e8a combo, they're good sounding amps.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jtn191

Yeah soon I'll box this in a head cab and refinish a 4x12 with a couple options for recording. I'm looking at a wgs nighthawk and maybe veteran 30/retro 30. Feel free to post speaker opinions!

pryde

Quote from: jtn191 on July 21, 2013, 11:02:11 PM
Nice, which others have you built?

Also done a f51, marshall 18w, and spitfire clone. my next amp in the works is a ab763 blackface when/if I get time.

My 5e3 is standard 15w, I bet a 25 watter sounds great. I really like the clean tone of my 5e3, especially with a Weber 12A125, but of course their isn't much headroom

jtn191

even though this amp is plenty of amp for me (and responsive enough that it's already challenging me to be a better player) I really like the sounds of a JTM45 and Ampeg Gemini II (reverb and tremolo  8)).

It might have a bit more clean headroom than standard. Despite my limited amp knowlege, I used slightly smaller input caps, 12ay7 preamp, etc
I'm looking at a Subdecay Spring Theory and some nice tremolo pedals...maybe an eq to trim off some low end. Here's the jazzy clean sound
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/jeff-n/5e3-jazz[/soundcloud]

Cortexturizer

I'd recommend the spring theory with no hesitation! I bought one from Raulduke and it is almost my favorite pedal. Fantastic reverb,you wont be disappointed
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

jalmonsalmon

Good job!
I will have to say, one of the main reasons I started making effect pedals was to get an idea of how circuits work, reading schematics, and to better myself at soldering.
I have built a madbean zeropoint SDX delay that works and now am able to wiring up pedals left and right, debug and get them working so...
I am about ready to take the plunge and make an AMP   hehee
I was thinking about a JTM45 build or the 5E3.

Once again good job on the amp and I am sure that one has plenty of oooomph !
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

gtangas

The 5e3 is a must do! I share the same goal and passion

But the fender kits are a bit expensive.... So I bought a second hand harley benton ga15 and I'm taking the learning route with this unit... I found a very nice lessons on YouTube

Congrats on the build... Building an amp is very different from effect pedals

cooder

Nice build there! Congrats!
A nice way to make bass response a bit more flexible is adding a 'voice' switch as found in Dave Hunter's excellent book "The Tube Amp Handbook". It is basically a on/off/on SPDT to switch the cathode bypass capacitor on V 1. One position is the 25mF (most Fender amps have this value, strong bass, sometimes too much), middle position is the leanest with no cathode capacitance and only the resistor in circuit, other position is for example 0.68 mF (most older Marshalls had that value in that position I believe, tighter, more 'rock' like).
It changes the working point of V1 but also the freq response. As that part of the circuit is not in the direct signal path there's no negative influence on sound as such and it won't make a noticalble difference to use specific high quality caps or standard run off the mill. The voltage in that part is pretty low, just a few volts, so even a 25 V rating is enough there.
I've implemented this voice switch on 4 of my amps I've built and really like the option plus one position is always stock, so you can always go for that.

You can see this implemented on the Weber "Maggie" amp (check their website for full layout and schem), which is essentially the same as the Dave Hunter "Two Stroke" described in book. Notice the 1Meg resistors on switch to stop switch popping (this is not mentioned in book).
I'll try to attach two snippets of weber files to clarify.
BigNoise Amplification

cooder

...and here's layout snippet of it.
I've used this on my 5E3 and it works great, I've also built Dave Hunters 'Two Stroke' (Weber 'Maggie') and also that is a cool little amp, sounding great and accepts pretty much any octal output tube.
BigNoise Amplification

alanp

... the more I read, the more I want to have fun building a Superbass or 45/100. And I cannot afford, right now. grrr.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

gtangas

in terms of money the transformers are the OMFG!!!!

question for the experts:
what is your opinion on the option of order transformer for an electrician? in my area there is a guy that makes transformers with the specs that you tell him.

taking this route what kind of problems may appear? noise?

In terms of Caps: orange drop  vs  TAD

Brian will launch a tube amp project... and by the look of this topic it will be a winner project!!!!

steveperiod

regarding speaker choices with a 5e3, weber alnicos are a great option that won't break the bank. the 12a125 that was mentioned earlier is absolutely killer. if you're on a budget the weber signature 12s sounds really really good too. as far as celestions go the g12h30 is hard to beat.

i built a 5e3 about a year and a half ago that was supposed to be my home practice / recording amp. that amp is almost never at home as it's become my primary "gigging" amp. i did some mods on mine to clean it up and tighten the low end a touch. such an amazing tone from such a simple circuit.