News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Shark Fin TC1044S gets hot

Started by fair.child, July 20, 2013, 02:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fair.child

Hi folks, I just finished up with Shark fin today. Okay, let me go straight forward

1) When I tried to "rock it" my 1044 went hot, I turned into another chance with 1044 which it still gives me the same result. It goes hot, every time I try to plug my pedal with 9V DC - DC Brick - well my assumption goes into the polarity, does it come with the same polarity like other pedals or not ?

2) my second assumption it might be 1044 has gone bad, and I should try to order it again from mouser. Right now I just only have one left which I don't want to try it unless there is something specific reason to debug

3) My assumption also goes into wiring, I put 2 LED's on it and try to power it up, well, here's the thing that I really totally don't understand, why it doesn't give me any bypass signal even my LED (standard wiring )works well, and I checked with DMM for my tip-sleeve- and ring, all of them are grounded well. Does it have any relation between 1044 and bypassing signal ? I guess no then I tried to double check again with 9V and Ground

Here some additional pictures

I tried to google some symptoms of the pedal but it found nothing, in this case I really need help

Additional info,

the output of TC1044 it seems wrong because the pin number 8 gives me 8.54 V which it should give me at least 12V out

Cheers all

midwayfair

1054 and 1044 are not interchangeable. Check the datasheets. You have to lift pin 1 if you're going to use the 1054.

If that doesn't fix the problem, you've probably got a short from 9v to ground somewhere.

fair.child

Quote from: midwayfair on July 20, 2013, 02:15:35 AM
1054 and 1044 are not interchangeable. Check the datasheets. You have to lift pin 1 if you're going to use the 1054.

If that doesn't fix the problem, you've probably got a short from 9v to ground somewhere.

Hi Midway, thanks for confirming, I need to fix my post, what I got actually 1044 not 1054, it might be right about short from 9V, indeed as my first assumption if that happens it means I can't power on my pedal. Again I double checked with DMM, for input and output, there's not a short so I might go for another assumption. Any guess?

fair.child

I tried to debug it today.  I found out that the output works, but it doesn't seem right.

1) One thing that I have here it's because I use 2N5457, not the original J201 which I placed as 2N5457. My awareness about this issue might come because 2N5457 doesn't have the same pin out as J201 (GSD). I doubt myself about this due a lot of comments about J201, MPF102 or 2N5457 have the same pin from their datasheets. I need some supervision for this issue

2) About switching, this pedal, is it true by pass pedal ? I'm just curious. When I plug my input and output, it doesn't give  me any true bypass sound. I don't know why, but if I bypass it through debugger, it will give me the output of the sound

3) I tried to fix my ground wiring and 9V then changed the 1044 with 7660 and it works well, but still, it doesn't solve the entire problem, well at least I can get output signal from the board. My assumption goes into CA3080, does it still work even the 1044 got hot before ?