News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Galacticon and Lord of the Kraken

Started by jimilee, July 18, 2013, 08:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

So here are probably my last 2 builds til mid August. Sadly sometimes real life gets in the way, but first is another Enviro job on The Lord of the Kraken and the bottom right is what happens when you rush it. It is just a neat sounding pedal. The Kracken Guts are a mess but I am particularly proud of the Galacticon guts. It is finished with a polyurethane finish.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/jimi-lee-2/kraken[/soundcloud]

And of course the Galacticon, it's a phase 45 with a depth mod

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/jimi-lee-2/galacticon[/soundcloud]
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

GermanCdn

Tres Magnifique, and thanks to your soundbites, my suspicions that there's something amiss in my Kraken build have been confirmed, dammit.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jimilee

Quote from: GermanCdn on July 18, 2013, 08:59:25 PM
Tres Magnifique, and thanks to your soundbites, my suspicions that there's something amiss in my Kraken build have been confirmed, dammit.
Oh noes! What's the problem?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

GermanCdn

It passes signal almost uneffected and the switch in one position definitely isn't right.  But I've had a good run of first time fire up boards, I was due for a debug.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

gtangas

you are unstoppable...

the wiring is hallways a challenge... at least for me!

jimilee

Quote from: gtangas on July 18, 2013, 09:29:14 PM
you are unstoppable...

the wiring is hallways a challenge... at least for me!
Well I board mounted the pots and labeled the enclosure backwards for some reason, so I had to flip the board which put all my connections on the wrong sides. I looked at the diagram in the BOM I think rather than looking at the board itself.

ch1naski

Damn Jimi, you really got those two together quickly, huh?
Is the environ poetry expensive to use? I've been using crystal clear acrylic, with so so results.....

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
one louder.

Stomptown

Great work jimmy! I love the artwork on both and the guts on the phaser are perfect! What do you think about the depth mod?

jimilee

Quote from: ch1naski on July 18, 2013, 10:46:47 PM
Damn Jimi, you really got those two together quickly, huh?
Is the environ poetry expensive to use? I've been using crystal clear acrylic, with so so results.....

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
Famowood Glaze Coat bar top epoxy from Lowes 22.00 for the smallest quart size I think. Every time I mix it up, I fill the bottom of a paper cup, and still have enough left over for another pedal. Thing is takes a decent 72hrs to dry. I really like it.

jimilee

Quote from: Stomptown on July 18, 2013, 11:56:17 PM
Great work jimmy! I love the artwork on both and the guts on the phaser are perfect! What do you think about the depth mod?
depth mod is fantastic. Build came together with ease. The only trouble I had was the jfets. I used 5952 I think and the pin out is reversed.took me a good 10 minutes to remember that. Depth mod is interesting, I think it goes deeper than a regular 45 and more shallow a well. The speed and shallow depth make for an interesting mixture.

Stomptown

Cool! I need to get a better set if jfets for mine. It doesn't get as intense as my smoothly does. I spaced pinout in the build doc. Sorry about that one! Ill have to add that in ASAP.

pickdropper

Nice looking builds, Jimi.  Graphics are getting better each time.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

ch1naski

Good to hear about the depth mod. I'm hoping my builds get deeper than my smoothie.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
one louder.

Bret608

These both look and sound good! I'm not a huge envelop filter guy, but I really liked the sound of the Kraken.

snz728

Stompdown-I just built mine too and not as intense as Jimi's (nice job and thanks for the demo, btw) but I think I need to get better Jfets too.