News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kingslayer mod: Add LED

Started by forsbach, July 14, 2013, 08:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forsbach

I'm building a Kingslayer as my first madbean pedal. It's going we'll, but I'd like to a tri-color LED for the diode select switch. I'd also like to add a LED to indicate when the overdrive is on. I'm going with a foot switch for the OD. I have no idea where to start on this. Anyone have experience adding either of these mods?

Hangingmonkey

For the od you could wire to the led to a dpst/dpdt stomp, 9v to led anode and cathode to the stomp and ground the middle lug.

For the diode led, u could use a 2 color led and ground the common cathodes to the lugs either end of a dpdt switch and get either of the diode modes to work, but im not sure how to get a tri color led to get the diode lift mode work.  Im sure some of the clever folk on here could chime in and help.

Stomptown

I think this will work (see pdf attached below), but it is not verified. I'm not sure how you would do it otherwise, but maybe there are other ways. You do not need to etch a board to be able to do it but it would be a lot cleaner wiring wise. All you need is a 3P4T rotary switch, a 4.7K resistor and a tri-color LED. The reason I added 2 sets of power/ground pads is so you can keep your wiring clean and simple. For clarification you would connect it like this:

9VDC jack power and ground lugs => daughter board power/ground pads => 2nd set of power/ground pads on daughter board => kingslayer power and ground pads

Good Luck!

Maybe someone else can look this over and verify that it SHOULD work. Guys?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that if you hook up the pad labeled "3pdt" to the 3pdt lug that you normally hook up an indicator led to, the tri-colored led will act as an indicator and turn off when the effect is bypassed.

EDIT #2: This circuit has been verified! (I had a double sided layout fabricated using the same schematic used for the single sided layout and it works! There should be no problem with the single sided layout.)

Hangingmonkey

3p4t!!!  Why didnt i think of that. Great work stomptown.
Pretty certain that would work.

forsbach

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the help. I wasn't expecting a pdf of the layout. That's handy for a noob like me.
I was waiting to order the last few parts till I could get my LED problem figured out. I should be able to order the final pieces tomorrow. I'll keep y'all posted on how the build turns out.

Stomptown

Quote from: forsbach on July 16, 2013, 02:24:40 AM
You guys are awesome! Thanks for the help. I wasn't expecting a pdf of the layout. That's handy for a noob like me.
I was waiting to order the last few parts till I could get my LED problem figured out. I should be able to order the final pieces tomorrow. I'll keep y'all posted on how the build turns out.

No problem! FYI I just ordered some fabbed PCB's for the tri-colored PCB layout. It's a different layout with the pads for the led centered below the switch. I will have a couple extra if you want one...

Hangingmonkey

Ill buy one as well if u have a spare knocking around.

Stomptown

Quote from: Hangingmonkey on July 16, 2013, 05:54:40 AM
Ill buy one as well if u have a spare knocking around.

Ill send you a pm when they come in!

Stomptown

The tri-colored LED on/off/on switch project I posted above is now verified! I build a Madbean LaVache and used it for the clipping switch and it works as expected. What a great sounding pedal too!!!

forsbach

Glad to see your daughter board works well stomptown. I actually opted to go with a bi-color LED route instead of using your schematic. Once I thought about it a little more I liked that the LED is inactive when no diode is selected. I wound up running the DC power to the 3pdt on/off switch. When the pedal is on it powers all the LEDs (on/off, clip, OD). When the pedal is bypassed it kills all the LEDs. The LEDs are wired in parrallel by way of 3 wires soldered to the same lug of the 3pdt switch. Now the problem is that the LEDs are loosing intensity as more lights become active. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?