News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Brown Suger...why do you taste so good?

Started by CurlyMo, July 14, 2013, 03:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CurlyMo

Following some disappointing job news yesterday I decided to do a therapy OD pedal build, the Brown Suger (label to come later):

Right side is an Egghead and the left side is a Sparkplug rv. 1.

It is a veritable rats nest inside, but it works. Not sure about the Presence switch yet...hence the fact that it is just laying on a bed of wires instead of being accessible from the outside. Also used a pre-drilled box from Mammoth so I had to just make things fit as best as possible with the space available.

Fired up right off the bat and just in time to make a trial by fire run at a gig this afternoon/evening. After the first song, I knew that the Aristocrat that I had been using the last year and a half or so had been booted from the pedalboard. I didn't even take any time to adjust the Bass & Mid trimpots...they're just wherever they were set at when I received them in the mail. This combination plays much more nicely and blends a whole lot better with my Little Dawg Super Dawg (5F4 in a head). Lots more personality and doesn't kill the tweed-ness by tightening up the low end and cleaning out the mids (Aristocrat was almost annoyingly clear throughout the whole tonal range...I like it a lot better through a Blackface amp). I also found myself using less drive on each side than I normally would (Egghead is set up as a low gain drive like I used to use my Barber LTD SR and the Sparkplug is set up as a higher medium gain drive like I used to use my Barber Super Sport). Both are great sounding circuits and I can't wait to fire them up again!

culturejam

Awesome!

(hope the job thing resolves in a way that works out for you)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jprizz

Nice!!! So do you prefer your Egghead over the LTD?

CurlyMo

culturejam: Thank you. Always other options, just have to find the right one...which of course is also how I got into this crazy pedal building!

jprizz: For my current setup, I do prefer the Egghead over the LTD SR. I originally purchased the LTD SR when I was using a Tiny Terror and wanted more variety of gain without any extra mids. It sounded and worked great that way and I still really like it with an amp like the TT or conversely with a low watt blackface amp where it drives the tone more true than a TS type pedal (to my ears anyway). LTD SR was just a little too polite with the 5F4 Super, though not as much as the Aristocrat. Egghead allows the amp to stay a little rude and keeps the lows in a similar space...not tightening them up but not letting them flub out either. I'm sold on the Egghead though I'll keep the LTD SR for when I'm using a different rig that it is better suited to.

eldanko

Man, I'll bet those two circuits sound killer together. I really believe the Sparkplug is one of the most underrated DIY drives out there. I had a blast with the one I put together.
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

CurlyMo

Yeah, I built the first version of the Sparkplug for my dad as a Christmas present last year and thought it sounded pretty good. I think the current revision sounds even better and the Egghead does stack well with it. Both circuits sound great with slide which is a big plus over the Aristocrat, no matter the settings.