News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How do you guys drill your enclosures? Drill templates not lining up...

Started by KCTigerChief, July 08, 2013, 02:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Lots of good advice here.

I lay out a drill template in Illustrator (Inkscape would work fine as well).

I recommend buying an inexpensive set of calipers; they are invaluable for double checking the spacing on the actual PCBs with board mount pots.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

3petedt

I use PowerPoint for graphics and hole placement.  Draft copies get taped to a piece of cardboard and I then I cut out the holes with an xacto knife and mount everything.  I do a lot of measuring twice to drill once.  Doing the layout on cardboard helps with 3D so you can see where problems might occur with interference and such. 

Scruffie

Set Square, Eye, Guess work, Sharpie Marker, Circular File for mistakes  ;)  ;D

Not had an un-useable enclosure from it and have made some tight fits! This is with board mounted pots, but I do measure and check a lot... not the best way really.

Started experimenting with the Express PCB files i've made now to measure by mm with a cross grid and print it with datasheet part outlines, not tried it yet though as I gave my printer away but seems sound.

I think even if you don't use express PCB it could be a viable option just for templates.
Works at Lectric-FX

Rockhorst

I use vinyl sticker for my graphics, they're very scratch resistant. I sometimes include the drill template in the artwork. Put on the sticker and drill on.

I've started drilling the holes a bit over sized so I have some room for adjustment. I convert the image to PDF, this helps a lot with the printing usually. Then I test fit everything together in Photoshop.

drezdn

There's always the T-Handle Reamer if your hole is slightly off.

DutchMF

Quote from: drezdn on July 28, 2013, 06:50:27 PM
There's always the T-Handle Reamer if your hole is slightly off.

Sorry, but this just sounds so............ wrong? I'm so glad no holes were 'slightly off' on my last build!  ;D

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Emmy

The best part of this thread is hearing that others share my difficulties with drilling.   My excuse is that I don't own a drill press, or padded vice, or the space in which to place those tools. 

Keep on filin'

mjcyates

I don't ever use a template. I cover the enclosure in painters tape and then use a ruler a T-Square and a pencil to mark it up.

stevie1556

I've recently stopped using a 7mm drill bit fot the pots and instead using the 8mm part of my step drill. Gives me a chance to move the pots around slightly and they always line up perfecrly now. That was always the worse part of a build for me, and if the pots weren't perfect the box went on the scrap heap and I tried again!

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

TwistdDeth

Quote from: jimilee on July 08, 2013, 03:05:40 PM
Dremel. Dremel fixes everything!

Here is something I found this weekend at a yardsale for $10

Also got a mortising kit by craftsman and a set of bits with the Drill press!
Select, bend, trim, place, solder, repeat