News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Need help with fuzz face.

Started by sonarchotic, July 06, 2013, 09:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonarchotic

My first build was a GE PNP Fuzz Face by GGG. I never really got it working right and now I have decided to make it work before I allow myself to move to another project. The problem is that I get fuzz on the lower end strings for a few seconds before it fades or clips out. The high E string doesn't even register unless I pluck hard. I have removed every part that isn't absolutely necessary to the circuit and still I have the same problem. I've tried every pinout configuration so I don't think that is the issue. I have read that this could be a biasing issue? This pedal has a bias pot but that doesn't fix the issue. It also had a bias trimpot inside that did not fix it and I took it out and jumpered it. There just isn't that much to this circuit so what could it be? Bad trannies from Small Bear? I couldn't find the values for their resistor substitutes but I think they are correct. I've reflowed the solder and completely rewired the thing. The board is beat at this point since it was my first build and I have messed with it so much since. It sounds great for the few seconds it works. Any help is appreciated, I want to move on!!

Scruffie

Quote from: sonarchotic on July 06, 2013, 09:38:01 PM
My first build was a GE PNP Fuzz Face by GGG. I never really got it working right and now I have decided to make it work before I allow myself to move to another project. The problem is that I get fuzz on the lower end strings for a few seconds before it fades or clips out. The high E string doesn't even register unless I pluck hard. I have removed every part that isn't absolutely necessary to the circuit and still I have the same problem. I've tried every pinout configuration so I don't think that is the issue. I have read that this could be a biasing issue? This pedal has a bias pot but that doesn't fix the issue. It also had a bias trimpot inside that did not fix it and I took it out and jumpered it. There just isn't that much to this circuit so what could it be? Bad trannies from Small Bear? I couldn't find the values for their resistor substitutes but I think they are correct. I've reflowed the solder and completely rewired the thing. The board is beat at this point since it was my first build and I have messed with it so much since. It sounds great for the few seconds it works. Any help is appreciated, I want to move on!!

Voltages on the transistors will tell all  :)
Works at Lectric-FX

sonarchotic

Q1: C: -.454 B: -97.8 mv E: 0 to ground
Q2: C: -287mv B: -.454 E: -282 mv
Battery at 9.1v

Q2's collector and emmiter were both rising slowly.
Thanks!!!

sonarchotic

Wrong biasing resistor value. Works great now. Thanks Midwayfair!