News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

the single malt thread - whisky drinkers ahoy!

Started by the3secondrule, July 05, 2013, 11:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the3secondrule

what's your favourite tipple:

currently i'm enjoying an Isle of Jura 16yo. A big complex whisky, not as full on and peaty as an islay.

and I just picked up a Glenkinchie 12yo - subtle, a bit fruity, I could sip this one ALL DAY LONG.

mmmm.

It's after 11am, might pour myself a dram.  ;D
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

midwayfair

Battlehill's 14-year bottling of Glenlivet is pretty spectacular. It's just a "deeper" version of the 12-year-old's flavor profile. I have yet to try a bad Battlehill bottling.

Right now, I go between that and the 16-year Lagavulin, which is certainly one of my favorites.

Pretty surprised to hear you like the Jura AND the Glenkitchie. I've been horribly disappointed with "lowland" whiskeys, even though on the surface I would think I'd like the flavor profile.  :-\

alanp

Too broke for single malts, and they've spoiled me for a lot of blends (except black label.)

So I'm working my way through a bottle of Old Crow. Not a bad bourbon, that one, for the money.

When work starts up again, I'm going to have to hit whiskyandmore's specials :D
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

the3secondrule

Quote from: midwayfair on July 05, 2013, 11:43:42 PM

Right now, I go between that and the 16-year Lagavulin, which is certainly one of my favorites.

Pretty surprised to hear you like the Jura AND the Glenkitchie. I've been horribly disappointed with "lowland" whiskeys, even though on the surface I would think I'd like the flavor profile.  :-\

+1 for the lagavulin 16yo. usually I find the Islays a bit "one note" - but the lagavulin 16 is one that i'll buy anytime I can afford it (not often).

not usually a big lowland fan, but I took a chance on the Glenkinchie because the price was right, and a disapointing whisky is still better than no whisky at all  ;) and I was pleasantly suprised

the3secondrule

Quote from: alanp on July 05, 2013, 11:46:46 PM
Too broke for single malts, and they've spoiled me for a lot of blends (except black label.)

So I'm working my way through a bottle of Old Crow. Not a bad bourbon, that one, for the money.

When work starts up again, I'm going to have to hit whiskyandmore's specials :D

I've never been a big bourbon fan - too sickly for me. but my experience is pretty much limited to the cheap stuff. is there a bourbon that bourbon snobs would recommend?

and you're spot on - whisky & more is where I get most of my tipples

alanp

Can't stand Jim Beam, FAR too much vanilla for me. Haven't tried the other bourbons.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

I don't drink much single malt these days, but I used to be fond of the Oban 14 year.  I looked at it the other day at the liquor store and it was $80 a bottle.  Ouch.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

RobA

Lagavulin. It's gotten so expensive around here that it doesn't happen much anymore. On the opposite end of the flavor spectrum, I had a bottle of 12 year old Yamazaki for the first time recently -- very fruity but with lots of depth. I liked it.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

midwayfair

Quote from: pickdropper on July 06, 2013, 12:16:24 AM
I don't drink much single malt these days, but I used to be fond of the Oban 14 year.  I looked at it the other day at the liquor store and it was $80 a bottle.  Ouch.

Some of this stuff is regional, some is some MASSIVE import inflation after the recession, and there are some other things going on that made scotch suddenly get much more expensive. I could get Green Label here for $45 a bottle (I wish I'd gotten more than one before it was discontinued ...), and the Laga 16 was "only "$65 when I bought it in December, and I know those are much more in some other places.

Honestly, the only way I can afford scotch is due to how little I drink.

wolfingsworth

I had a bottle of Lagavulin 16 y/o one time and it just tasted like leather and wood... Not at all what I had expected. I'm a fan of drinking whiskey straight but when I tried the single malt scotch for the first time I wasn't impressed. At what point does one start appreciating the old boot flavor? I guess my tastes are just too cheap  ;D

Stomptown

Single malts do something funny to me. I used to drink it a lot when I was playing in a rowdy country band, but I prefer to stick to the Canadian Blends these days. So does my wife for that matter ! ;) I really like Pendleton Whiskey, which is made by at a local distillery. Very smooth and great on the rocks...

Vallhagen

Quote from: wolfingsworth on July 06, 2013, 04:49:24 AM
At what point does one start appreciating the old boot flavor?

When you reach 42!  ;D

I love a good single malt myself. And i can appreciate anything from no-smoke to extreme-smoke. As anything you put in your mouth its a matter of perfection and balance. And sometimes we want un-balance i guess.

Anything labeled Lagavulin is Always a favourite. And Caol Ila.

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

RobA

Quote from: midwayfair on July 06, 2013, 04:45:06 AM
... and the Laga 16 was "only "$65 when I bought it in December, and I know those are much more in some other places.

Wow, time for me to move. The cheapest I've seen it around here in the last couple of years is $110.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

davent

Quote from: RobA on July 06, 2013, 10:13:55 AM
Quote from: midwayfair on July 06, 2013, 04:45:06 AM
... and the Laga 16 was "only "$65 when I bought it in December, and I know those are much more in some other places.

Wow, time for me to move. The cheapest I've seen it around here in the last couple of years is $110.

$115 cdn in this neck of the woods.

https://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/searchResults.do?ITEM_NAME=LAGAVULIN+16+YEARS+OLD+MALT+SCOTCH+WHISKY&ITEM_NUMBER=&language=EN
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

wolfingsworth

Quote from: Vallhagen on July 06, 2013, 08:56:31 AM
Quote from: wolfingsworth on July 06, 2013, 04:49:24 AM
At what point does one start appreciating the old boot flavor?

When you reach 42!  ;D

I love a good single malt myself. And i can appreciate anything from no-smoke to extreme-smoke. As anything you put in your mouth its a matter of perfection and balance. And sometimes we want un-balance i guess.

Anything labeled Lagavulin is Always a favourite. And Caol Ila.

Cheers
I guess that's my problem!+1 for the Pendleton. Although  Seagram's is more in my price range ;)