News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Loose Screws

Started by pickdropper, July 02, 2013, 01:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

I built a couple of screwdrivers, one for me and one for a friend of mine.  I am determined to have one of that circuit on every pedalboard I have.

The copper/silver one is actually a salvaged enclosure.  I etched the raw enclosure, but the laser engraver was misaligned, so it was shifted about 0.045" to the right.  I etched the silver plate and used that instead.  It actually looks nicer than the original enclosure would have if it had been properly aligned.

The green guts were unfortunately messier due to that absolutely unnecessary addition of a battery snap.   ;D

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

selfdestroyer

That silver and brown/copper one just speaks to me.. looks awesome. What kind of transparent paint is that? I have got similar results with RC car shell paint in the transparent colors but nothing like that brown/copper one. Looks beautiful.

midwayfair

Beautiful every time, Dave. That design always looks particularly killer on silver, but it's interesting to see it reversed on the black, too.

I'm surprised Smallbear can keep stock of those knobs considering you use them on almost everything. :)

pickdropper

Quote from: selfdestroyer on July 02, 2013, 01:43:24 PM
That silver and brown/copper one just speaks to me.. looks awesome. What kind of transparent paint is that? I have got similar results with RC car shell paint in the transparent colors but nothing like that brown/copper one. Looks beautiful.

The enclosures are painted by PPP.  I think they are actually called Transparent Green and Transparent Copper, but I'd have to check. 

The silver one is a two-tone acrylic plate I've been messing with.  The only downside is that it tends to curl, so I had to attach it with strong double-sided tape.  Then I clamped it flat and ran a bead of low viscosity (250 CPS) epoxy around the edges to hold it in place permanently.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on July 02, 2013, 01:44:29 PM
Beautiful every time, Dave. That design always looks particularly killer on silver, but it's interesting to see it reversed on the black, too.

I'm surprised Smallbear can keep stock of those knobs considering you use them on almost everything. :)

Thanks Jon, I was trying a couple of different things with these to see what I liked. 

And yes, guilty as charged with the knobs.  I think the silver classes everything up.
Function f(x)

jimilee

Beautifully done, as always.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

slimtriggers

Man, those are great! 

croquet hoop

It's funny how you manage to make each new build look better than the last. Great job as always, I love those faceplates.

Have you ever considered using the slightly bigger version of these knobs for your 125B builds? (the same Skreddy uses if I'm not mistaken) Not that there's anything wrong with these ones, but I'm curious.

pickdropper

Quote from: croquet hoop on July 02, 2013, 02:27:41 PM
It's funny how you manage to make each new build look better than the last. Great job as always, I love those faceplates.

Have you ever considered using the slightly bigger version of these knobs for your 125B builds? (the same Skreddy uses if I'm not mistaken) Not that there's anything wrong with these ones, but I'm curious.

Yes, I did use them on a Lunar Module build a while back.  I agree that those look good too.
Function f(x)

midwayfair

Dave, what are you using for transistors in those?

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on July 02, 2013, 03:05:31 PM
Dave, what are you using for transistors in those?

They are both AC176 with a gain between 80-100 and a decent bit of leakage.
Function f(x)

ch1naski

That's what i used in mine, those sound super duper killer in this circuit.
What is the through plated board I see there?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
one louder.

pickdropper

Quote from: ch1naski on July 02, 2013, 08:27:06 PM

It's a PCB that I laid out a while back.  It's sized for 1590a, but obviously works in larger enclosures as well.
Function f(x)

fendman

QuoteThe green guts were unfortunately messier due to that absolutely unnecessary addition of a battery snap

:o Come on Dave...messier...that is not even in your vocabulary. Myself and everyone that see these builds are just drooling.  Jimilee I believe is catching you up though,, me thinks you are giving him guidance.

Absolutely mint  :P

Mike

wstimson

Quote from: pickdropper on July 02, 2013, 08:39:53 PM
Quote from: ch1naski on July 02, 2013, 08:27:06 PM

It's a PCB that I laid out a while back.  It's sized for 1590a, but obviously works in larger enclosures as well.

*cough* ...A PCB you should totally make more of... *cough*