News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What Flanger?

Started by billstein, June 28, 2013, 12:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

Want to order a board for a flanger. Any opinions on the Electric Mistress or Collosalus?

jimilee

I asked the same question a few nights ago on another board, and the colosalus was recommended over the current lover because it's more of jet flange sound. (that's what i was looking for)
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

I found the Collosalus to be more troublesome, though. Tried it with a battery, still got whine. YMMV
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

RobA

I built the Current Lover and I think it's a great pedal. I put the it in a 125 enclosure. I think that it would have been better to take the pots off board and but it in a 1590BB, but other than that, I'm really happy with it. But, as Jimi says, it depends on what you are looking for out of it. My take on them is the EHX is a chorus on steroids, lovely liquid tapie-ish flanger and the MXR is a phase shifter on steroids -- a jet.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Droogie

Quote from: alanp on June 28, 2013, 03:07:31 AM
I found the Collosalus to be more troublesome, though. Tried it with a battery, still got whine. YMMV

My Collosalus REALLY likes 12 volts—9 volts, not so much.
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

Matt

Current lover is a great sounding flanger but it doesn't do the extreme jet sounds.  Haven't built the collosalus YET!  It's on the short list.  Just waiting to see the next new releases.
Matt

jimilee

Quote from: Dc10 on June 29, 2013, 02:36:29 AM
Current lover is a great sounding flanger but it doesn't do the extreme jet sounds.  Haven't built the collosalus YET!  It's on the short list.  Just waiting to see the next new releases.
Waiting on the free shipping week...and working on the other 16 boards in the meantime  ;D But oh yes, the collosalus will be mine and I suppose a roadrage too.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Matt

Quote from: jimilee on June 29, 2013, 02:46:14 AM
Waiting on the free shipping week...and working on the other 16 boards in the meantime  ;D But oh yes, the collosalus will be mine and I suppose a roadrage too.
16 boards!!!  I'm only working on 4.  I'm slacking :(
Matt

jimilee

Quote from: Dc10 on June 29, 2013, 03:06:33 AM
Quote from: jimilee on June 29, 2013, 02:46:14 AM
16 boards!!!  I'm only working on 4.  I'm slacking :(
I got stuff from everybody ,I think I may be addicted.

billstein

Thanks guys for all the replies.  I'm trying to get my head around what a jet sound would be.  
Which one would sound the closest to the VH sound in "a cradle will rock".

And yes Jimi I think there may be an addiction problem.  :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

gordo

That's probably the best way to put it.  The Current Lover sounds like The Police, the Collosalus sounds like Van Halen.  I built both and could see putting them both on my board, but I'm running out of room.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

billstein

Quote from: gordo on June 29, 2013, 05:59:55 AM
That's probably the best way to put it.  The Current Lover sounds like The Police, the Collosalus sounds like Van Halen.  I built both and could see putting them both on my board, but I'm running out of room.

Thanks.  When I read jet sound I thought of Van Halen. That's the sound I'm looking for.
Thanks again everyone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2