News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mislabeled NC momentary from Small bear heads up

Started by jimilee, June 26, 2013, 02:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

So I have a Zeropoint SDX that I had the runaway oscillation problem. Turns out I ordered a wrong momentary from Tayda, a normally open rather than a normally closed, so I ordered a normally closed switch from small bear... that's odd same problem...hmmm it just so happened that I pressed the replacement switch and played with the feedback knob and the issue went away and the feedback knob was very useable. So I checked the continuity on the two switches, both were the same... It just so happened I ordered another nc momentary from Lawrence over at BLMS, so I checked continuity on his nc momentary, none unless I pressed the button....So I guess what I am saying and asking you to do is check your nc momentary you got from small bear and make sure it is an nc instead of an no in case they shipped you the wrong momentary also.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Stomptown

Thanks for posting this! I recently bought a momentary at a local electronics shop and did not even think about whether it is closed or open! I will have to test it before I finish my SDX. Also, did you contact Steve about the mistake? I'm certain they will send you a replacement...

jimilee

Nope I didn't contact him, to me it's not a huge deal,just been pullng my hair out over this build first one issue then another and FINALLY it's done! yaay!!! How would you go about contacting Steve?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

RobA

Tayda does have the DPDT momentary stomps. They are kinda convenient because one side is normally on and the other is normally off, so you can choose which one you need. The SPDT is probably the same, but I haven't got any to test and they don't have docs up for that one.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

jimilee

Quote from: RobA on June 26, 2013, 03:05:42 AM
Tayda does have the DPDT momentary stomps. They are kinda convenient because one side is normally on and the other is normally off, so you can choose which one you need. The SPDT is probably the same, but I haven't got any to test and they don't have docs up for that one.
Well that's cool, the only one I was able to find at Tayda was the normally open one, at the time anyway.

Stomptown

Quote from: jimilee on June 26, 2013, 02:42:01 AM
Nope I didn't contact him, to me it's not a huge deal,just been pullng my hair out over this build first one issue then another and FINALLY it's done! yaay!!! How would you go about contacting Steve?

There is an email address on the website. I'm not sure if he is the one responding all the time but someone will take care of you. I would open a line of communication and maybe see if they will throw one in on your next order or give you some credit if you no longer need it. Every time I have asked a vendor to just throw it in my next order they end up sending it immediately, but if your not in need of the part now it's worth a shot. No need for them to pay unnecessary shipping costs!

jimilee

Quote from: Stomptown on June 26, 2013, 03:35:10 AM
Quote from: jimilee on June 26, 2013, 02:42:01 AM

There is an email address on the website. I'm not sure if he is the one responding all the time but someone will take care of you. I would open a line of communication and maybe see if they will throw one in on your next order or give you some credit if you no longer need it. Every time I have asked a vendor to just throw it in my next order they end up sending it immediately, but if your not in need of the part now it's worth a shot. No need for them to pay unnecessary shipping costs!
Right, I didn't want them to have to ship unnecessarily but I will order again, so that's a great idea.

Stomptown

In the meantime you'll have to find a project to put that normally open switch to good use!  ;D

alanp

Smallbear sent me an old-style belton brick, and an email to them cleared it ALL up with no worries :)

To clarify, not so much a Bad switch from sb as it was a Mislabelled switch, then... (the switch itself was good, just the wrong one!)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

RobA

Quote from: jimilee on June 26, 2013, 03:07:26 AM
Well that's cool, the only one I was able to find at Tayda was the normally open one, at the time anyway.

I have no idea when they got them in. I got them in my order from the latest coupon. They feel a bit wimpy and they click. I'm not sure which I like better feel wise yet, the DPDT or the SPST.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

midwayfair

Jimi, you got the switch you ordered from Smallbear and the wrong switch from Tayda. You also just ordered the wrong switch from BLMS.

Normally open = shunted, only connects when you press the button.
Normally closed = always connected, shunts when you press the button.

In the ZPSDX, the switch connects two lugs of the feedback pot when you press the switch. The right switch is a normally open. Otherwise, those two lugs will always be connected and you'll be feeding back.

Edit: I have some normally open Carling copies. I'll give you one if you need it.

timbo_93631

Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

jimilee

Quote from: midwayfair on June 26, 2013, 12:53:02 PM
Jimi, you got the switch you ordered from Smallbear and the wrong switch from Tayda. You also just ordered the wrong switch from BLMS.

Normally open = shunted, only connects when you press the button.
Normally closed = always connected, shunts when you press the button.

In the ZPSDX, the switch connects two lugs of the feedback pot when you press the switch. The right switch is a normally open. Otherwise, those two lugs will always be connected and you'll be feeding back.

Edit: I have some normally open Carling copies. I'll give you one if you need it.
According to the Bom it's a normally off momentary switch,and I bought 2 normally open momentary switches which caused it to oscillate out of control.

RobA

So, if I understand this right, off == open, right?

The Tayda SPST I have is a press to connect contacts type, which should be a normally open then.

This should be the right switch for the build, correct?

Maybe Tayda has multiple of these mixed up?

crashguitar

I used the Tayda SPST momentary (normally open) with my ZPDX and it worked without a hitch. That is the sort of "L" shaped one for $1.99.
I see there are some 2PDT and 1PDT momentary switches, but I don't have experience with them.

Chad