News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DC jack wiring problems

Started by Gledison, June 20, 2013, 08:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gledison

Hey Guys.
i've just started to build my first pedal. Well, im building a Test box first.
Im following exactly the offboard wiring from Madbean and i got trouble with the DC jack.
when im using only the batery, everything works fine, i can even wire via the aligator plugs, a pcb and works 100%. When i plug a DC adapter, started a strong Hummmmmmmm! If i remove the adapter, leaving only the battery, everyting perfect!
with the adapter plugged, the true bypass is working fine. if the switch is on, again the strong Hummm!
If i remove the input guitar cable, the hum still there.
The only "wierd" thing that i can find is that the 9V adapter is sending 13V to the pedal.
Is there a correct way of wiring the positive wires to the DC jack or doesnt matter if you where u wire the battery snap (the ground is properly wired, the question is only for the 2 remaining lugs)
thanks a lot for any help
cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

stevie1556

No idea on why you're getting 13v from the power supply, but for they wiring I'll try and help. The ground wire goes the the centre lug with the bolt/rivet type thing on, and the other lug in the middle goes to the positive battery snap wire. The lug is switched and will be off when a power jack is connected to save the battery power. The lug on the outer edge is the other power lug, and goes to the board.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

jimilee

Quote from: Gledison on June 20, 2013, 08:43:52 PM
Hey Guys.
i've just started to build my first pedal. Well, im building a Test box first.
Im following exactly the offboard wiring from Madbean and i got trouble with the DC jack.
when im using only the batery, everything works fine, i can even wire via the aligator plugs, a pcb and works 100%. When i plug a DC adapter, started a strong Hummmmmmmm! If i remove the adapter, leaving only the battery, everyting perfect!
with the adapter plugged, the true bypass is working fine. if the switch is on, again the strong Hummm!
If i remove the input guitar cable, the hum still there.
The only "wierd" thing that i can find is that the 9V adapter is sending 13V to the pedal.
Is there a correct way of wiring the positive wires to the DC jack or doesnt matter if you where u wire the battery snap (the ground is properly wired, the question is only for the 2 remaining lugs)
thanks a lot for any help
cheers
So for the adapter, it sounds like it's gone bad on you. for the dc jack wiring, you have the ground wire, immediately to the right is the adapater wire and then lastly the battery + wire. Have a look at this http://www.madbeanpedals.com/tutorials/downloads/StandardWiring_MBP.pdf
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Gledison

Hey!
Thanks for helping! i got the stupid barrel jack and i changed for the "standard one" (the same described by madbean offboard wiring). My wiring are correct.Tripple check :P .
I will switch the DC adapter for other one and see how it goes.
thanks again for helping!

stevie1556

Hopefully it's all sorted now. I hate having to try and trouble shoot builds that don't work properly.

jimilee

Quote from: stevie1556 on June 21, 2013, 10:00:12 AM
Hopefully it's all sorted now. I hate having to try and trouble shoot builds that don't work properly.

Me too, I hate when I don't build it right the first time, but it's even worse when a part has gone bad on you. I've had a few adapters go belly up, and left me pulling my hair out thinking it was my build.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jprizz

Could it be that you are using a positive tipped 12V power supply? It should say on the wart what the input and output should be. Just trying to cover all the bases here.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Gledison on June 20, 2013, 08:43:52 PM

UNREGULATED power supply.

Most unregulated wall wart PS will put out above its stated voltage. All that the spec means (ex. 9VDC 200mA) is that the PS will put out AT LEAST 9VDC when it is run to its maximum of 200mA. After a 200mA draw, you will see less voltage coming out.

I have several 9VDC unregulated power supplies that put out 13-16VDC when measured at the jack and/or while connect to a circuit. WATCH THOSE CAP VALUES WHEN USING THESE!!!  :-\

Gledison

Hi.
Jprizz: im using the negative one!
Govmnt_Lacky: yeah, is tottaly unregulated.
Do you think that this will make this strong Humm? Im still waiting the new PS to solve this mistery!
Damn it. First Build, first mistery! i guess this is one of the reasons this stuff is so adictive!! :P
cheers guys

RobA

The power supply can inject a lot of noise into the power rails of the pedal. Depending on the type of effect, that can easily come out as hum on the audio lines.

Where the noise comes from can be a bigger issue. It can be from the power supply, the wiring in your house, local ground loop in your effects and amp if they share points in the power circuit, etc.

One thing to note, the 13V on the unregulated supply is the unloaded voltage. When you power something with it, it will drop. How much it drops depends on the power supply and how much current the effect pulls. To find out where it is when loaded, you can just hook up the effect and then measure the voltage of the power supply on the board.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

jimilee

It's your ps, they go bad and put out more than they should. I had a phaser that would hum and I drove myself nuts trying to figure it out because it worked great with a battery.

Gledison

Hey mates!
I´ve just bought an 1spot adapter and now im getting 9,3V, what i assume its ok!
But, the problem persists! I decided to build than, in another enclosure, and the same problem as in my iphone Box! a very high frequence hum, i believe a lot of dogs got mad aroung my apartment :P
What i dont understand is: using the 9V battery, everything works perfectly. I can understand that an unregulated DC adapter can bring noise to the board but not working at all as well?
cheers !

RobA

9,3V is a fine level for the voltage.

Is it a hum or a squeal? By squeal, I mean a high pitched, loud oscillation.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Gledison

Hey RobA,
yes, kind of squeal. and if i put the put the gain on "11" :P  i get some wierd distortion, but only playing the notes harder! just keep in mind that With batteries everything runs smoothly!!!
any tip in how to kill the bloody Squeal? :P

RobA

Could be time to post photos and a link to the schematic.

Because it works with the battery and not with either power supply, I'd suspect something in the DC jack wiring or a possible ground loop that is only introduced when the DC jack is inserted.