News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Just another Klon

Started by pickdropper, June 19, 2013, 12:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dondougie

Stunning both inside and outside! I actually like your design and finish better than the original gold horsie klon, and that already looked VERY nice  ;)

Govmnt_Lacky

AWESOME build pickdropper  ;D

I always cringe when I see exposed LED leads like that though (especially if there is a battery floating around in there  :o)

pickdropper

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on June 19, 2013, 06:32:12 PM
AWESOME build pickdropper  ;D

I always cringe when I see exposed LED leads like that though (especially if there is a battery floating around in there  :o)

If I add a battery (unlikely) then I will definitely have to protect the LED leads.

If there isn't a battery, they are safe.  The hole is so tight that it would be difficult to get the LED out without destroying it.  The LED leads are so short they can't touch the chassis.

There is somewhat of a method to my madness.  I like wiring the LEDs like that because I can wrap the ribbon wire around the short, folded LED legs.  This is a really good mechanical connection when soldered.  The downside, as you observed, is that the connection is more difficult to cover with something like shrink tubing.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GrindCustoms

Oh Dave............you had to show this....when i thought that my klones where neat inside.....

DESTROY.ERASE.IMPROVE....hahaha

I also hookup most of my LEDs that way..in a snug hole with exposed leads...

Before i was covering them with a goop shot of hot glue....but that stuff is too solid..not enough flexible..

After looking at the gut of some of my EHX pedals..i saw that they where using home/construction silicon....and so i do now. It keep its flexibility...when you apply it and take the tip away it does'nt do tons of fillament....and with a bit of water or spit on the tip of your finger you can make it «die» with the surface of the enclosure interior...wich insure that it will never move from there....
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

alanp

Quote from: GrindCustoms on June 19, 2013, 09:15:30 PM

Good album, that.

And bloody good pedal. Insanely clean.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

Oh Dave............you had to show this....when i thought that my klones where neat inside.....

Before i was covering them with a goop shot of hot glue....but that stuff is too solid..not enough flexible..

After looking at the gut of some of my EHX pedals..i saw that they where using home/construction silicon....and so i do now. It keep its flexibility...when you apply it and take the tip away it does'nt do tons of fillament....and with a bit of water or spit on the tip of your finger you can make it «die» with the surface of the enclosure interior...wich insure that it will never move from there....

Try silicon RTV then.  It is really soft but will insulate.  I just don't bother with it because it isn't necessary in my application.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GrindCustoms

Quote from: pickdropper on June 19, 2013, 09:30:46 PM

Try silicon RTV then.  It is really soft but will insulate.  I just don't bother with it because it isn't necessary in my application.

Will do, thanks for the hint ;)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Roctopus

DutchMF

You call that clean wiring?  ;) Just kidding dude, I would buy that pedal in a heartbeat, if only to open it up, put it in really nice place in the living room and look at those guts all night! My wife wouldn't let me, though...... And I have no doubts it sounds as righteous as it looks!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"