News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Curious. What do you do for a living?

Started by das234, June 16, 2013, 11:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fendman

Didn't realise all you guys had such really interesting jobs, I am an ex TV/Video engineer, I know I am classed as a dinosaur. Technology moving so quickly more or less saw me off...as did the Myochardial Infarction a couple of years ago. But, hey I am still here and getting stronger everyday :) I always say to myself there are so many people out there a lot worse of than you.

I have a lot of admiration for the guys who work in all the various hospital departments, they  do a great job  8)
I see a few of the guys here work in that field..Well done.

So building pedals and playing the guitars most days is a great satisfaction, its something I really cherish and hope I can keep doing for some time to come. And nearly forgot...laughing with Jimilee :)

Enjoy
Mike

das234

Quote from: pietro_moog on June 17, 2013, 11:45:03 PM
am i the only economics/finance guy in the forum?

Doesn't eye banking count as finance??

snz728

I work at a culinary school and they have me teach economics among other things if that counts.

gordo

Quote from: das234 on June 17, 2013, 04:29:05 AM

Oh, and the only music job I have is an occasional gig playing the bagpipes.

I would kill to play the pipes.  The original rock and roll sound to me.  Sabbath was the first thing I heard as a kid that was any heavier.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

gordo

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on June 17, 2013, 12:26:00 PM
Professional loser here. Never had a real job. I do amp/guitar/electronics repair and mods for two local music shops.

Dude, if you can make a living doing this you're a superstar.  I do it as more of a masochistic hobby but I've layed awake many a night knowing that I know the fix but can't quite get it.  It takes up more of my brain power than my "real" job.  I take repairs FAR too personally.
Gordy Power

gordo

Quote from: culturejam on June 17, 2013, 12:38:47 PM

No shit?! That's the coolest job so far.  :)

Right? Making pedals has to be mundane compared to fixing a watch!
Gordy Power

culturejam

Quote from: Dc10 on June 17, 2013, 10:53:53 PM
[Tag makes a great watch I'd like to get one some day.  I've wanted an Aquaracer for years.

What automatics do you have?

I actually have an Aquaracer chronograph. No kidding, it weighs 7 ounces (200g). It's a beast of a watch!

Other autos: I have a couple Seiko 5 Sports, a mid-grade Bulova, a cheapie Relic, and a surprisingly nice Chinese brand called Parnis that has a power reserve indicator and a retrograde date display.

Other watchs: Luminox (forget which model exactly), Seiko Solar chronograph, cheapie Relic quartz chronograph, and a nice but cheap Casio Tough Solar analog/digital. I also have a couple that I broke that are now in pieces.  :D

You ever do any custom builds? I might be interested in something like that.  ;)

I want a *real* tourbillon movement, even though it's highly impractical and outrageously expensive. The cheapest one I've seen is a Chinese "cheap" model for $600.   :-\
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

mjcyates

Quoteam i the only economics/finance guy in the forum?

My undergrad degree is in Accounting. I worked for 9 1/2 years in the UPS Airline F&A function. Got tired of counting beans.

insomniac2295

Quote from: mjcyates on June 18, 2013, 02:23:05 AM

My undergrad degree is in Accounting. I worked for 9 1/2 years in the UPS Airline F&A function. Got tired of counting beans.

Well look at that- I'm working on my undergrad in accounting! Right now, I'm a merchandiser for Nabisco.

midwayfair

Quote from: mjcyates on June 18, 2013, 02:23:05 AM

. Now you build beans!

mjcyates

QuoteNow you build beans!

Much more enjoyable I must say!

wgc

I'm a professional role model for dudes in beer and deodorant/body wash commercials.

The dos Equis guy? Yeah, he doesnt use it all the time, but when he does, he got that from me.

Just kidding.  :P

I'm a product designer.  But I do like a cold beer.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

pickdropper

Quote from: calciferspit on June 17, 2013, 06:21:22 PM
I'm an Eye Banker. I cut eyes out of the recently deceased and preserve, prepare, and match them up with recipients for human eye tissue transplants.

"I don't know such stuff. I just do eyes, ju-, ju-, just eyes..."

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

haveyouseenhim

I'm an Eye Banker. I cut eyes out of the recently deceased and preserve, prepare, and match them up with recipients for human eye tissue transplants.

I bet you were super psyched to see this ;D :D

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=9589.msg88322#msg88322

Quote from: gordo on June 18, 2013, 01:50:24 AM
Quote from: haveyouseenhim on June 17, 2013, 12:26:00 PM
Professional loser here. Never had a real job. I do amp/guitar/electronics repair and mods for two local music shops.

Dude, if you can make a living doing this you're a superstar.  I do it as more of a masochistic hobby but I've layed awake many a night knowing that I know the fix but can't quite get it.  It takes up more of my brain power than my "real" job.  I take repairs FAR too personally.

I wish I made a living with this.  Doesn't even come close. Hopefully I can get a REAL repair gig in Boston so I can stay there.
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

lincolnic

That's the most metal thing I've ever heard.