News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Curious. What do you do for a living?

Started by das234, June 16, 2013, 11:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calciferspit

I'm an Eye Banker. I cut eyes out of the recently deceased and preserve, prepare, and match them up with recipients for human eye tissue transplants.

aballen

I'm an "Architect", basically a software/systems designer for cloud services.. Started out a a software engineer and now I'm designing systems with over 50 million active users... kind of crazy when I think about it.

In addition to that I'm a full time #1 Dad, got a card to prove it yesterday ;)

alanp

There's a definite trend towards skilled manual workers (ie, workshops, not ditches and factory lines) and technology workers here. I'm one of the trendbreaking outliers!

Quote from: rullywowr on June 17, 2013, 03:16:20 PM
Radio Frequency (RF) Field Support Engineer - I work for a microphone company and travel around helping venues, churches, bands, events set up and maintain their wireless microphones.  I do a lot of frequency coordination, troubleshooting, spectrum sweep analysis, and system design.

That's cool. I really don't know the details, but some law changed here a while ago, and now our church isn't allowed to use our old wireless microphones, apparently it's not legal to use the frequencies they're on anymore or something.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

lincolnic

Quote from: G.G. on June 17, 2013, 04:33:25 PM
I work for Nintendo as a 3D character artist. My department makes characters for the games, sort of like making sculpture on the computer.

Eight-year-old me is so jealous of you. Present-day-me is a little jealous too!

jubal81

Quote from: calciferspit on June 17, 2013, 06:21:22 PM
I'm an Eye Banker. I cut eyes out of the recently deceased and preserve, prepare, and match them up with recipients for human eye tissue transplants.

No one is topping this one. calciferspit wins the thread.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

GhostofJohnToad

Reminds me of the line from that Pixies song, "slicing up eyeballs, ha, ha ho!"

Pretty interesting stuff.

Stomptown

Quote from: GhostofJohnToad on June 17, 2013, 09:14:13 PM

Reminds me of the line from that Pixies song, "slicing up eyeballs, ha, ha ho!"

Pretty interesting stuff.

He's a Debaser!  ;D

PhiloB

Acute Mental Health hospital.  Certified Music Therapist.  Work mainly with adults and addiction.

pryde

Quote from: PhiloB on June 17, 2013, 09:58:35 PM
Acute Mental Health hospital.  Certified Music Therapist.  Work mainly with adults and addiction.

Awesome. I did a clinical rotation as an OT student in acute mental health. I really enjoyed it. Did not do much with addiction but worked on life/coping skills for folks with schizophrenia, bipolar, various personality disorders, etc.

Matt

Quote from: culturejam on June 17, 2013, 12:38:47 PM
Quote from: Dc10 on June 17, 2013, 04:18:59 AM
Watchmaker

No shit?! That's the coolest job so far.  :)

I got the watch bug last year. Picked up a range of relatively cheap automatics (and one really nice TAG that I got as a "gift" for winning a company award).

I also picked up some cheap watch tools for minor adjustments. I also got ballsy and got a hand press and puller, but I've not yet fully manned up and pulled apart a working watch.  ;D

I never thought I'd be a watchmaker.  I fell into the job really.  I was 20 years old and still living at home.  My brother knew the owner and asked him if he had a job for me.  I started out cleaning watch cases.  15 years later I'm working on everything from vintage straight winds to modern chronographs.  Life's funny that way.

Tag makes a great watch I'd like to get one some day.  I've wanted an Aquaracer for years.

What automatics do you have?

If its something you really want to get into I think school takes 2 years or you could just go to an NAWCC meeting.  They meet all over the country for swap meets ( a good way to find tools) and offer classes.
Matt

PhiloB

It's interesting work Pryde.  One of my favorite units is mainly schizophrenia and bipolar population.  Only get over there for 3-4 groups a week. Rewarding and challenging.

junkemail86

Nice.  I'm an ophthalmology resident (a.k.a. in training to be an eye surgeon)

pietro_moog

am i the only economics/finance guy in the forum?

ChrisM

Electrical Engineering student, done my under graduate in about 10 months.

The last 1.5 years I've been on a work term working for the major power transmission/distribution company in this province. Fun stuff but got to go back to school in September and finish my degree.

Also work part time for a local amp company in the city building amps and doing the odd repair work/service calls.

atreidesheir

Algebra/History teacher for special needs children.
far more interesting than it sounds.  All of your jobs sound fairly fun (except eye banker).  Mine is sometimes.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman