News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

1590A TB MKII with PCB mounted pots/led

Started by Stomptown, June 16, 2013, 07:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stomptown

Here is a Tone Bender MKII I've been working on for my nephews birthday. He told me he wanted a pedal that would make him sound like Jimmy Page. I told him it would take a lot more than a pedal to sound like Page but I would see what I could do. ;)

I created this layout in eagle and had the boards fabbed at Osh Park. I'm pretty excited that I was able to fit PCB mounted pots and an led inside a 1590A. I used the right angle 9mm alpha's and they work great. The circuit is an MKII with added noise filtering and a voltage inverted. All credit goes to Brian for the voltage inverter (road rage) and Fuzz Central for the MKII schematic.

For the etch I intentionally pulled some of the toner off using blue painters tape. I thought that it would look cool with extra pitting. I was initially going to sand off the black paint and leave only the text/images black, but I fell in love with the black on black look. I actually wet sanded the surface with a 600 to give the raised part a matte finish. It really makes the graphics pop. If I could go back I would call the pedal Black Magic!

I have more of these boards coming soon if anyone is interested in picking one up.

Cheers,
Jon

midwayfair

:o

Wow. Outstanding work as always, but this seriously looks like it SHOULD to be a production pedal (instead of just "wow, that looks very professional"). Your nephew better love it. :)

Stomptown

Thanks Jon! I also verified my layout for the Blue Warbler! It sounds fantastic as I expected. I am planning a pretty cool build with it coming up soon. Thanks again for helping me out with that...

GrindCustoms

Quote from: midwayfair on June 16, 2013, 07:19:18 PM
:o

Wow. Outstanding work as always, but this seriously looks like it SHOULD to be a production pedal (instead of just "wow, that looks very professional"). Your nephew better love it. :)

True that! :o

Impressive!
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

dondougie

Super clean layout and wiring, and the etch is great, too! Are those to-1 sized germaniums?? I'm definitely in for a board when you get more of them, can't build enough mkii's  ;D

Guitarmageddon

Very cool.
Black on black FTW.
Really attractive board layout.

Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

fendman

Very nice...the pics make the pedal look stunning :)

Great job!!

Mike

wolfingsworth

You have gotten really good in a really short time! This pedal is freakin awesome!

alanp

That layout is sexy.

I love how even the power connector at the top is kinda PCB mounted, if you look carefully :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

artstomp

...Jon, i was going to ask you if you sanded the surface because i did not read the txt...i was sooo stunned when i saw the pic...i'm gonna copy what you did on my next enclosure...love that LedZepp logo!

Govmnt_Lacky

Almost looks like a padded sticker on top of the box!

Impressive sir!

Definitely interested if you have a board available

hoodoo

Wow mate, love this one, first time i've seen black on black, great idea, all the best, Matt.

billstein

Great looking pedal! I'd also be interested in a board.

lincolnic

I know what I'm voting for in the June contest. (You're entering this, right?)

Stomptown

Thanks for all the kind words guys! I will let those who are interested know when the boards arrive...

Quote from: lincolnic on June 17, 2013, 03:07:39 AM
I know what I'm voting for in the June contest. (You're entering this, right?)
I will definitely try to get it in the build off. Jon's got some great prizes up for grabs!