News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

sharkfin

Started by fixxe, June 12, 2013, 11:40:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fixxe

Does this fsh have the same problem with dialing in the filter side of the effect like the original or did the mods solve this problem?

madbean

The envelope filter part is pretty easy to tweak with the three controls (filter, attack and decay). It could be tweaked even further with some value adjustments (higher or lower decay cap for instance or higher decay pot), but I think it's already set in a way that will satisfy most.

fixxe

Oh sorry, I meant the tonepad version, not the original (dont really now about that :-X)
I think it was chromespherecom's video that I saw, in which he shows that some settings of the pots don't do anything at all, or seem useless.
Did you have the same results on your build?

madbean

No, the pots more or less retain control over their range. Less so when the Filter knob is turned down, but that is to be expected since it reduces the sensitivity to the envelope follower.

fixxe

Ah, cool.
So the Kraken doesn't have any advantage over the Sharkfin, filter-wise?

jimilee

Quote from: fixxe on June 13, 2013, 10:51:06 PMAh, cool.
except its a madbean board,and we must build it? Madbean is like the new iPhone with the s after the number.you know you don't need it or have a use for it,but somehow you know you must build it.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

madbean

Quote from: fixxe on June 13, 2013, 10:51:06 PM
Ah, cool.

I think both are equally cool envelope filters and very comparable. If you are only interested in the envelope, then the Kraken is a better choice because it is less expensive to build and will fit in a 1590B. It also has the Hi/Lo switch. The Sharkfin is kind of a different animal because of the whole Sample and Hold thing. You can get the same envelope filter vibe happening in a lot of pedals, but there is no other pedal like the FSH1.