News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I wish I knew this when I was first starting...

Started by junkemail86, June 10, 2013, 02:07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

Quote from: pryde on June 10, 2013, 07:49:36 PM
T-Handle Reamer. $5 at HF tools.

Use it all the time to open up enclosure holes for tighter fit of LEDs and 9v jacks, etc

Exactly what I use also. Works great.

TNblueshawk

I would have gotten an electronics degree in college...
John

GermanCdn

1.  Build a kick ass testing/debugging rig.  Just finished one with some of Jacob's pcbs, will post a build report shortly.
2. If you think you're going to like a circuit even before you build it, buy two pcbs.  Build one stock and experiment with the second.  If you build it up and don't like it, you can always sell the second pcb.  And some of the disappear from production quicker than you'd think.
3.  Plan your orders carefully to minimize shipping costs and get familiar with a number of vendors.  I still order a lot of stuff from Europe even though I don't live there anymore, because the shipping rates to Canada are better than Smallbear and Mammoth.
4.  Scotchbrite pads - make great work surfaces when you're trying to hold components in, and can be used to buff up vero and etched boards.
5.  Invest in a good quality step bit, soldering iron, and diagonal cutter, they will make your life a lot easier.
6.  Accept the fact you won't love every circuit you build.
7. Buy an IC leg straightener.
8. Always wear glasses/safety glasses
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Jederino

What, my brilliant plan to solder all those 5mm lengths I have left could have been avoided!?  LOL

- socket transistors, IC's, and anything the build report might suggest could be changed.

- when building you can get very familiar with the parts, so read through the scheme and you will learn so much more.

- get a DMM and learn how to use it.  There are tons of videos on YouTube.

-  start small, but something cool, so you have accomplishment you can hear.  No offense to the people who suggest a looper switch . . ahem, but a booster is just as easy.  Ha ha!

- don't throw that non working board against the wall
"Get off my Frakking ship."

drezdn

Download build docs when you buy a board. Otherwise, you might have trouble in a few years when you get around to building something.

snz728

1uf multilayer ceramic capacitors make it easier than those big  box capacitors to close the lid of your 1590b box.
DMM with continuity tester and test for continuity again and again, it can find lots of problems.

jimilee

Quote from: snz728 on June 12, 2013, 02:17:22 AM
1uf multilayer ceramic transistors make it easier than those big  box transistors to close the lid of your 1590b box.
DMM with continuity tester and test for continuity again and again, it can find lots of problems.
I dont even know what a 1uf multilayer transistor is.is it a film cap a ceramic an electro or a tranny?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Haberdasher

never fry bacon naked.
that's all i got for now.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

pickdropper

Quote from: Haberdasher on June 12, 2013, 02:45:27 AM
never fry bacon naked.

Seems like a good place to start.

You may want to add soldering to your list.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

billstein

Quote from: pickdropper on June 12, 2013, 02:50:34 AM
never fry bacon naked.

I think I see what you're saying. Haberdasher's list is a good starting place but maybe a little incomplete.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Haberdasher

Quote from: pickdropper on June 12, 2013, 02:50:34 AM
never fry bacon naked.

Fair enough.  I may give up naked soldering for lent next year; i'll have to think about it.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

drezdn

I need to put something on my testing rig like "are all the socket-ed components in? Did you check? Really? Check again. Are they all in?"