News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Harbinger One power supply requirement

Started by twin1965, June 09, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twin1965

Trying to decide what power supply to use.

Build docs mention that "100mA is sufficient to operate the Harbinger" with a 9V PSU. Is this the minimum requirement?

Reason I'm asking is that my pedal power bank only supplies 75mA per output. These aren't isolated so I can't combine them to get 18V.

Trying to avoid spending more money on a new power supply!

jkokura

Man, I hate to tell you this, but yeah, the Harbinger will likely need more than that 75mA. You're running 15 transistors and a lightbulb along with all the rest of the circuitry. It may actually be more like 110mA to run it, but you can manage on 100. Sorry. The Boss PSA supply will do, but you could also go with the Dunlop 18V.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

twin1965

Many thanks for the info. Makes sense why its so power hungry. Off to buy a power supply!

twin1965

Got my new 18V power supply and tested the Harbinger and.....it made a pulsing siren-like sound without me playing the guitar :(

Bulb was pulsing and trimmers seemed to work. Took the psu out of the equation and used two 9V batteries in series. Lo and behold a lovely lush sound emanated from my amp :) Tweaked a little bit more and everything works as it should.

The power supply is a switch mode type. This is obviously not good for this type of circuit. The switching gets into the audio hence the pulsing siren even when the guitar volume is down!!

Just ordered a Dunlop ECB004 psu. Hope this is better.

I think someone on another thread said they are using this.

billstein

I just finished mine using the Dunlop and so far everything is good. I did jumper R54 on the filter board because the resistor was dropping the voltage down to a little over 15 volts.

paulyy

The Dunlop ECB004 works fine. That's what I used and I jumped R54 for the same reasons as billstein.

twin1965