News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Face FortyFive (smoothie)

Started by Vallhagen, June 08, 2013, 11:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vallhagen

Heyo folks!

...just a Phase 45, build around the mb smoothie pcb. And as i dont bother to squeeze stuff into the smallest available enclosure, i guess this sort as an average build:). Nothing wrong with that though. But i shall be honest and say that the run for smaller'n'tighter design doesnt really do much for me... and i blame that on my age and eyes, as many guys at my age (yea you get it, face 45 etc...) I need glasses to read a paper and also magnifier for proper soldering nowadays.

Well, it is my first phaser, which is fun. Thanx to you guys (jkokura and others) posting in this thread: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=9951.0 , for clearing out my last questions about jFET matching.

...and i thought it was about time that this avatar picture i carry around the interweb should have a place on something physical too:)

Cheeeeerio!

Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

ch1naski

Beauty! I like the graphics!
I'm not so good with small enclosures, my smoothie went in a 125b.

Generally, if it can fit in a 1590a, I put it in a "b". And if it's made for a "b", I put it in a 125, .....etc.
My eyes and shaky hands have a hard time....pls I've got a debilitating wrist thing that makes it hard to do things in weird situations like trying to solder in awkward places.

What color Orange is that box?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

jimilee

Nice! I don't possess the patience or eyes for the 1590a either.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Vallhagen

Quote from: ch1naski on June 08, 2013, 03:08:33 PM

What color Orange is that box?

Thanx jimi and ch1naski. Obviously we are a few who still knows that big is bigger then;) ... On the other hand i wish to not be read wrong: all respect too all who manage to squeeze this into an A-box (and all respect to the PCB design). It IS an art by itself:)

Chinaski: Sounds like a good rule-of-thumb there to me, "if designed for... put it in a..." etc :).

.. im not sure if u wonder about the brand for the orange color or some cryptic code for nuance? It is funny how hard it is to "translate" an objects (as well as wall-paints) true colors from the real world to a picture via camera. Pics of this one is taken in sunny daylight, and i would say that the pics are lighter than the real world experience. If i place it next to a Boss Distortion DS-1 (which i happen to have one right here), my facefortyfive is a few nuances more grey/brown. if that makes sence:)

Cheers!

stecykmi

very nice graphics, the dimensions are perfect in relation to the hardware.

billstein

Nice build! I understand the whole eye thing. 

Vallhagen

Thank you gentlemen Nisha and Billstein!

stevie1556

I've built a couple of 1590A builds, but only when I can be bothered to mess around trying to get everything into it! I find its more time and hassle though!

Absolutely love the graphics on yours though!

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

Rip57

Nice job. I did a Smoothie in a B box as well. It was hard enough getting everything soldered in, much less trying to fit it in a miniature enclosure. I envy those with the vision and the eye/hand coordination to do so.

Anyway, I love the graphics. How do you like the sound?
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer." ― Frank Zappa

Vallhagen

Thanx Stevie and Rip. I notice some compliments for the design, thanx for that:)

THe sound... To be honest i dont have played many phasers the last 10 years(!) or so, so i dont have much to compare with personally. But i find it "simple/basic and natural, well sounding" if that answers the question. I will go on and build at least one phaser with more stages to feel the difference (any week, any year  ::) ).

Cheers!

jimilee

Quote from: Vallhagen on June 10, 2013, 08:57:57 PM
Thanx Stevie and Rip. I notice some compliments for the design, thanx for that:)

THe sound... To be honest i dont have played many phasers the last 10 years(!) or so, so i dont have much to compare with personally. But i find it "simple/basic and natural, well sounding" if that answers the question. I will go on and build at least one phaser with more stages to feel the difference (any week, any year  ::) ).

Cheers!
it's a great sound that I haven't been able to replicate with any other phaser. I have a tone pad pcb ready for me to populate
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

drezdn