News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wait...What? Is this the Zeropoint SDX....clone?

Started by jimilee, June 08, 2013, 02:34:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

https://www.facebook.com/TrueEffectsPedals?hc_location=timeline
I saw this delay pedal and...it even has a ghost switch, keep in mind it's just a prototype...weird
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

LaceSensor

99.9% that is indeed the SDX.
Too many coincidences in the control layouts.

Remind me, Beaners, is it kosher to make commercial runs of pedals with the pcbs? I seem to recall policies being revised at some point.

Stomptown

100% SDX. The mode switch is even offset exactly like the SDX. Plus, he has a Nautilus build on his page too so he obviously uses Madbean PCB's. Not that big of a deal if he didn't refer to his delay as a "prototype!" IMO bad form...

ch1naski

I believe, offhand,  small runs for sale have been given the green light, but commercial runs that are blatant rips with no mention of madbean is wrong and probably forbidden.
I'm trying to sell a couple of builds, and I make sure to mention they are built on a 'bean pcb.
In fact, I would consider that a sign of quality.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

Stomptown

Brian actually states that you do not need to credit him for small runs, but if it were me I would not use the word prototype. It may not be his intention, but it is misleading to call it a prototype. It is  in the sense that he will probably use the same enclosure, bezel, 3pdt's, etc., but it is not a prototype as far as the circuit design goes.

alanp

Stomptown has nailed it, for me.

Plus calling it your prototype implies that you developed it, which is decidedly Uncool. Especially when Brian worked so hard on it.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pryde

What a joker
At least there are a couple comments on there where people are calling his bullshit.

The whole: "look at the prototype we cooked up" kinda erks me.

ch1naski

I asked for a gut shot.....hold my breath.:-X

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
one louder.

ch1naski

Hah...he admitted it.

one louder.

Stomptown

Quote from: ch1naski on June 08, 2013, 05:18:18 AM
Hah...he admitted it.

he also removed it from his page which confirms his deception. ::)  This reminds me of an acquaintance of mine who recently posted a song that we co-wrote and left me off of the credits and removed my comment after I called him on it. He later posted something that gave me credit, but he was obviously more concerned with his image than anything else. I basically took his lyrics and turned it into a song and he was telling everyone it was his "first song that he wrote and finished!" Maybe my expectations are high but I just don't understand how people can sleep at night knowing that they are full of s*&t!  ;D

GermanCdn

Ten to one the Rodeo Clown is a ZP micro and a Bacon bits.  Sad.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

LaceSensor

The comment by "ian Lovetone" is me by the way.. ;)
called it like I saw it.

I think its bs. He claims mods, but I doubt that. Only "mod" I see is the plexiglass layer in the case.

gtr2

I have no horse in this race but... I pulled two quotes from here: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=8020.0

"Any PCB that is currently listed on the projects page can be used for your own commercial endeavors. This means PCBs purchased from the store, AND/OR made from the etching artwork in the documents (if available) can be used in your own pedals you make specifically for the purpose of selling. So, if you want to build some Big Muffs for sale and use the Mudbunny PCB (whether you buy them from me or etch your own from the artwork) that is totally okay. You do not need to credit me, or offer any compensation for this....EVEN WHEN USING THE ETCHABLE ARTWORK. Same with the Zero Points, Low Riders, fuzzes, etc. You know what I mean"

"Lastly, if you are using the MBP PCB's to sell your own pedals, it is a good idea (and my preference) that you do not use the same project name. For example, if you want to sell some Kingslayer builds, use a different name. The only reason for this is brand distinction....so that your customers don't think it is something I built (probably more applicable on re-sale or used, but you get the idea)."

Here is wikipedia's definition of a prototype:

"A prototype is an early sample or model built to test a concept or process or to act as a thing to be replicated or learned from. It is a term used in a variety of contexts, including semantics, design, electronics, and software programming. A prototype is designed to test and trial a new design to enhance precision by system analysts and users. Prototyping serves to provide specifications for a real, working system rather than a theoretical one."
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

midwayfair

Quote from: gtr2 on June 08, 2013, 09:56:44 AM
I have no horse in this race but... I pulled two quotes from here: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=8020.0

"Any PCB that is currently listed on the projects page can be used for your own commercial endeavors. This means PCBs purchased from the store, AND/OR made from the etching artwork in the documents (if available) can be used in your own pedals you make specifically for the purpose of selling. So, if you want to build some Big Muffs for sale and use the Mudbunny PCB (whether you buy them from me or etch your own from the artwork) that is totally okay. You do not need to credit me, or offer any compensation for this....EVEN WHEN USING THE ETCHABLE ARTWORK. Same with the Zero Points, Low Riders, fuzzes, etc. You know what I mean"

"Lastly, if you are using the MBP PCB's to sell your own pedals, it is a good idea (and my preference) that you do not use the same project name. For example, if you want to sell some Kingslayer builds, use a different name. The only reason for this is brand distinction....so that your customers don't think it is something I built (probably more applicable on re-sale or used, but you get the idea)."

Here is wikipedia's definition of a prototype:

"A prototype is an early sample or model built to test a concept or process or to act as a thing to be replicated or learned from. It is a term used in a variety of contexts, including semantics, design, electronics, and software programming. A prototype is designed to test and trial a new design to enhance precision by system analysts and users. Prototyping serves to provide specifications for a real, working system rather than a theoretical one."

Yeah, reading the build docs would have made everyone calm down.

RobA

I think the problem was the use of the word prototype was stretching the connotation a bit thin in this setting. It came across as marketing obfuscation. With all the pedals out there that are just rebranding of stock models from China with a bunch of nonsense marketing and others that are just knock-offs with overhyped marketing, people are a bit sensitive to the situation. That combined with the loyalty Madbean has built up through being honest and helpful is going to add up to some volatility in reaction. It's probably best to err to the side of clarity when marketing these types of things.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).