News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anybody else see the new goodies at Tayda

Started by GermanCdn, June 07, 2013, 02:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GermanCdn

9 mm pots ($0.58 each), Marshall knobs (gold and silver), MXR knobs, and 10 mm LEDs.  Like I really needed another reason to place an order this weekend.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

rodstewart

58 cent 9MMs? I'm mising those.
Quote from: GermanCdn on June 07, 2013, 02:08:34 PM
9 mm pots ($0.58 each), Marshall knobs (gold and silver), MXR knobs, and 10 mm LEDs.  Like I really needed another reason to place an order this weekend.

midwayfair

Quote from: GermanCdn on June 07, 2013, 02:08:34 PM9 mm pots ($0.58 each)

These are the plastic external trim ones. They're 1.28 with the set screw and metal shaft. Good price, but they only have a handful of linear values, and the right angle pots aren't as useful as the pinned ones.

MXR knobs are kind of exciting, but be warned that on Tayda's clone knobs the color is slightly off -- especially the white. You can't mix and match them with the genuine article.

FAR more exciting:
$1.90 for a 10-pack of alligator clips, and a breadboard for $3.90!

GermanCdn

Quote from: midwayfair on June 07, 2013, 02:32:40 PM

These are the plastic external trim ones. They're 1.28 with the set screw and metal shaft. Good price, but they only have a handful of linear values, and the right angle pots aren't as useful as the pinned ones.

MXR knobs are kind of exciting, but be warned that on Tayda's clone knobs the color is slightly off -- especially the white. You can't mix and match them with the genuine article.

FAR more exciting:
$1.90 for a 10-pack of alligator clips, and a breadboard for $3.90!

Yeah, I was just excited to see they had some 9mm.  It's better for those of us who are hampered with higher shipping costs from Smallbear.  Figure if history is any indicator, if the ones they have now sell well they'll probably broaden their selection.  And yeah, the white knobs are never quite right, but I prefer the cream ones anyway.

The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

RobA

Argh! Right after I made my order. I actually prefer the right angle pots for board mounting too. Well, I guess it's time to start bugging them to get the 11 detent version.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

RobA

I have also noticed that the Tayda knobs tend to not match well with the actual Davies knobs or even the better quality knockoffs from Small Bear. I did order a couple of the MXR knobs though. I need one to replace a broken knob on my ancient Distortion +. So, I guess I'll have a pretty good idea of how well the match to decades old MXR knobs. But, I don't have any new production versions to compare with.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Stomptown

Quote from: midwayfair on June 07, 2013, 02:32:40 PM
Quote from: GermanCdn on June 07, 2013, 02:08:34 PM9 mm pots ($0.58 each)

...and the right angle pots aren't as useful as the pinned ones.

I'm actually working on a few 1590A projects with right angle 9mm pcb mounted pots. It's really helps to keep the wiring tidy! It does require bending the terminals on open frame 1/4" jacks but I think it will still make for an easier build...

spaceboss

The stereo low profile jacks, that look like the mono ones that bean used in the baby boards build doc, for 43 cents are what caught my attention.  I'll be curious to see if they are any good.

juansolo

I want to go over to Singapore and give Tayda a hug.

Awesome, most awesome.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

GermanCdn

Quote from: spaceboss on June 08, 2013, 03:03:07 PM
The stereo low profile jacks, that look like the mono ones that bean used in the baby boards build doc, for 43 cents are what caught my attention.  I'll be curious to see if they are any good.

They are a little bit on the flimsy side and the nuts aren't the best, wouldn't make them my goto jack.  Best quality jack they have is still the stereo pcb mount ones.

marmaliser

Quote from: juansolo on June 08, 2013, 04:40:34 PM
I want to go over to Singapore and give Tayda a hug.

Awesome, most awesome.
They certainly make DIY in the uk a whole more affordable

stevie1556

Quote from: GermanCdn on June 09, 2013, 01:06:49 AM
They are a little bit on the flimsy side and the nuts aren't the best, wouldn't make them my goto jack.  Best quality jack they have is still the stereo pcb mount ones.

Those stereo PCB mount ones are better quality then I can get here, at half the price!

Quote from: marmaliser on June 09, 2013, 08:03:36 AM
They certainly make DIY in the uk a whole more affordable

If it wasn't for Tayda, a lot of offboard parts are either really expensive, or a 4 week plus wait to get them from the other side of the pond. I'm so grateful I found them, although my bank account isn't!

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

croquet hoop

9mm pots, FINALLY! I can't believe how I missed them, I placed two orders on Saturday 8th, were they added right after or what?

I'm glad their 16mm pots I got instead (lots of fun for my 1590A builds!) are cheap, this won't be an expensive mistake. And let's hope they'll add more values soon! With their prices, shipping costs and frequent coupons, Tayda now looks like the best source for 9mm pots for European customers.

edit: just seen the full list... ok, provided they really add more values  ;D

RobA

An update on the MXR knobs, well, they are the mini MXR knobs. Don't know why I didn't think of that before ordering them, but they aren't gonna work for my old Distortion+. Oh well. As far as the quality goes and matching with the Eagle mini MXR knobs? Not so good there either. The markings on them are pretty crap and the flange is angled wrong, etc. They aren't unusable -- just not really very good.

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk