News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Clean boost of Aristocrat vs. clean boost of Sunking

Started by highway jones, January 25, 2011, 02:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highway jones

I built a single-side version of the KOT on vero board (without the treble trimmer). However, I have considered building both sides since I would primarily use one side for a boost before the red/yellow channel. 

I am currently building the Sunking as well.  It seems like most people run this after their dirt whereas I am used to a boost prior to OD/distortion. 

Anyone compare running the Aristocrat boost prior to the yellow/red channel vs using the Sunking as a clean boost placing it after the Aristocrat?  Any preferences?

jkokura

In my opinion, the KOT doesn't do well as a booster. it's meant to be at least a little bit dirty. There's also very little extra volume available, as unity is about 3 o'clock on the knob, and maxed out it's only a 'little' bit louder - barely louder really.

The sunking as a clean boost is MAGNIFICENT in comparison. I wouldn't even consider the KOT in the same league as far as boost is concerned. For what it's worth, I'm currently using the Sunking in this format in front of a tubescreamer to provide a little bit of extra oompf.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

They are definitely different sounding. the clean boost feature on the Aristocrat is fine, in its own way. But, it does not have the same character as a Sunking used as a clean boost. IMO, I think the SK is probably more dynamic and has more character. IOW, it has more coloratrion. But, it's a good color, as Jacob mentioned.

For the Ari---I generally use the clean boost on the first channel to slam the front end of the second channel when I want a little more sizzle out of it.

gtr2

I don't have a sunking built yet, but I couldn't see using the Aristocrat for a clean boost in itself.  It is a nice stacking pedal though.  By running the Aristocrat into another gain pedal that has more sustain you can get some really chewy lead tones!
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

highway jones

Thanks for the responses!

I may just stick with a single side of the Aristocrat then and save some board real estate in the process.  I have a BYOC Triboost (extremely versatile and perfectly voiced MOSFET boost option) I can always run in front and I am also building a Boost'N'Buff just for experimentation.

I look forward to completing the Sun King in th enext week or so.....