News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What is the Rev using here?

Started by Bret608, June 05, 2013, 07:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

If I didn't know better, I'd say the Reverend Billy G. was using a nasty fuzz here as opposed to amp gain alone. Are my ears on the right track? Sounds almost like my Wolfshirt! I'm liking the chorus on the solos as well.

BraindeadAudio

Billy gibbons? Hes been known to use a Bixonic Expandora..

Bret608

Oh geez, I forgot to link to the clip I was talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjSIYtMdFTM

Enjoy and sorry for the confusing start to this thread!

TNblueshawk

Quote from: BraindeadAudio on June 05, 2013, 07:43:08 PM
Billy gibbons? Hes been known to use a Bixonic Expandora..

Such as this one  ;D

John

Bret608

I love this! May have to build one. Just wondering what he was rocking in this circa 1980 clip.

TNblueshawk

Guitarmageddon was/is? selling these boards. Here is a pic of the board. I did several mods he suggested rather than go stock.

John

nzCdog

Sounds really good in that clip

raulduke

That clip is great.

The tone sounds like a low biased fuzz face with the volume backed of a little to me. I am probably totally wrong though!

I gonna have to invest in some zz top!

GermanCdn

Yeah, Billy is the original king of tone, though I'd agree it's probably a FF dialed back a bit, as I'm pretty sure 1980 is way too early for the Expandora.  Nonetheless, build one or three, they're great (if my new 308s would only arrive in my mailbox), Jacob's got one version and guitarmageddon's got one as well.

Check out Premier guitar's gear rundown he does.  Blew my mind, not for the gear he's using, but the fact he uses 0.007 and 0.008 gauge strings (if I looked at a 0.007, it would snap).
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

billstein

There's another thread where they are talking about the same thing.

There's a great video of them doing La Grange.

http://www.woodytone.com/2011/11/16/what-the-fuzz-did-bfg-use/

Also, can't neglect the mojo value of the beard. I don't know about you guys but I like the old Analog beards like the rev is rockn more than the new digital beards. Just saying...

gingataff

Quote from: Bret608 on June 05, 2013, 07:25:00 PM
If I didn't know better, I'd say the Reverend Billy G. was using a nasty fuzz here as opposed to amp gain alone. Are my ears on the right track? Sounds almost like my Wolfshirt! I'm liking the chorus on the solos as well.

I'm sure he has been a Foxx tone machine user so you may not be far off with the wolfshirt.

alanp

From what I've heard, Rev Willy G has had every bit of guitar gear, at least once.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Bret608

Yeah, I agree he's probably used everything at some point. Even on different songs from the show that the clip comes from, he's got different tones. The intersection between the gear and the hands makes it all a bit hard to run down, but it's no less fun to try.

I'm also liking the chorus-y thing on the solos on El Diablo. I bet it's a flanger set for a chorus-like sound.