News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rangemaster power

Started by MattL, January 23, 2011, 10:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattL

I notice in the Madbean Rangemaster project that there's no indication in the plans to use the DC adaptor, but rather just the battery. Is this an effect that is better with just a battery? I haven't built any +ground effects yet, but for my last 12 or so builds I've skipped the battery. Just wondering; if I have to use a battery I will. Still a bit confused about the positive ground also...

jkokura

It is possible to build it with a dc jack, however, it must be stated that whats more important to k ow what kind of power supply are you using. It becomes more complicated when trying to get +9v for the rangemaster using a power supply. Can you tell us what you plan on using?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

MattL

I'm using the standard DC power jack, the one that measures 2.1mm. I had also built a tonepad version with the DC power jack. It is a design that people seem to question because it's a PNP transistor with a negative ground. It's VERY noisy, but the tone is phenomenal. Do you think the power source is the problem? I've heart the Rangemaster is really noisy anyway; the presence of a band could probably mask the noise...the TV at moderate volume does!

gtr2

What are you using to power your pedals?  Such as voodoo labs power plus 2 or individual wall warts etc...  This will help Jacob and others answer your question more specifically.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

MattL

That could vary; on a smaller board (I'm talking Pedaltrain mini) I was thinking of the 1spot. On the next size up it would be the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 plus. If not on a board it would be the 1spot. I've got the noisy PedalPad version that has drawn raised eyebrows for being a PNP transistor with negative grounding. Also curious if you think that, maybe in conjunction with the 1spot could be a problem. In case someone might think I misconstrued something here (regarding PNP/-ground), you can see it in the plans:

http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=83

I just tried a T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr. and the noise is the same as the 1spot. Do you think there is any kind of general rule that would determine that the battery would be less noisy? I've stopped putting batteries in my pedals...do you think it's worthwhile to throw one in? Maybe it's just not the best pedal for a pedal board.

MattL

Quote from: MattL on January 23, 2011, 10:38:05 PM
I notice in the Madbean Rangemaster project that there's no indication in the plans to use the DC adaptor, but rather just the battery. Is this an effect that is better with just a battery? I haven't built any +ground effects yet, but for my last 12 or so builds I've skipped the battery. Just wondering; if I have to use a battery I will. Still a bit confused about the positive ground also...

Also it should be mentioned that if I turn my guitar all the way up the hiss gets noticeably louder, as well as if I turn it all the way down with no guitar sound . These are sudden level changes. I guess I'm partially wondering whether or not I want to build other versions of this if my observations are in any way standard i.e., I've heard Rangemasters are notoriously noisy!

jkokura

Here's what I'm noticing. First off about that Tonepad project:

It looks to me like there's a LOT of parts on there for a Rangemaster, except that it's got onboard Millenium Bypass. Even still, there's extra on there. I think that's why it can run on +9V, it's got extra parts that help it do that. In truth - that's not really a Rangemaster. That's a treble booster that's been based on the Rangemaster. It might sound like a rangemaster, but it also may not sound like a rangemaster - I don't know, I've never compared the two.

Second off about your current Rangemaster project:

If you're powering the pedal, and need it to run on +9VDC (so called positive ground), you need a power supply specifically designed for that. With a Pedal Power 2 Plus this is possible with the right power adaptor cord. I think mine cost five bucks at a local music shop, it's got one end that's white and is the cable they call the 'reverse polarity' cable. Check Voodoo Labs website for that one. I think One Spot has a similar adaptor as well. It's also called a reverse polarity cable.

Once that's taken care of, you can use this diagram for wiring the Rangemaster: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/switch_lo_3pdt_tb_dcj_pnp_ft.gif?phpMyAdmin=78482479fd7e7fc3768044a841b3e85a

This is the correct diagram to use IF you're using the right cable. There are other options, but this is a guaranteed to work solution.

Another guaranteed to work solution is to use the Road Rage board Brian provides to give you the needed -9VDC for the rangemaster while using your regular powersupplies without any adaptors. This is what I did for the rangemaster I built recently. It's not that expensive (less than 4 bucks in parts for me, including board) and it works very well for anyone regardless of their experience with -9V and +9V.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

MattL

Thanks very much Jacob, and since Brain sent me a Road Rage as a bonus with something else, I'll give it a shot. Thanks again, Matt