News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Started by billstein, June 02, 2013, 08:06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

:o Know what I mean?

And so it begins! Time to put on my big boy soldering pants and charge into the frey.

ch1naski

I was just debating getting one, myself. I have a Forum Vibe FV4 board I haven't touched yet, but the build docs for the madbean projects are so much easier to get through.

Good luck on your Univibe journey!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

twin1965

But after you finish populating it...........its more like yesssssssssssssss!!!

Finished this earlier today. Believe it or not it's easier to solder on these boards than it is for vero/stripboard or very small boards. Madbean boards are a joy to work on you just have to take it slowly and check every component before you solder it on. (I actually forgot to order IC2 >:( ).

This is not finished yet so there might be a bit of troubleshooting coming up! Hopefully not.

What power supply are you going to use? 9V or 18V?

wolfingsworth

I dunno, I started etching right off the bat. Dirtbag was my first fabbed board and felt like a vacation compared to those squirrelly bare copper traces. Either way, good for you billstein! I can't wait til I have the time to do one of those builds. It's been calling to me ever since pryde posted his etched Hendrix Harbinger.

alanp

The power of drunkenness means I don't care. (The local supermarket was selling 2 litre oilcans of Asahi Super Dry at half price.)

I'm sure I could cop similar tones to Machine Gun with my Doppelganger.

Probably.

Well, if Brian still has Univibe boards when his Bunnies come back into stock, I'll find out. I want to find if stock bunnies like Civil War compare as well to ?Lady bunnies.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

ch1naski

That Dopple of yours could cop a whole lot of sounds....but being the former owner of two vintage Univibes, to my ears nothing has quite grasped the whatever-it-is that makes a Univibe so special...from what I've heard of the forum vibe and this project, tho, it's pretty damn close. Much better than Fuller or Dunlop.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
one louder.

billstein

Quote from: twin1965 on June 02, 2013, 05:19:04 PM

Haven't decided yet. I have a one spot and a voodoolabs pedal power. So I can go either way. I guess you would use two to the 9v isolated jacks to get 18v from the voodoo labs. Does anybody know if that is correct?

billstein

Quote from: ch1naski on June 03, 2013, 05:05:20 AM
That Dopple of yours could cop a whole lot of sounds....but being the former owner of two vintage Univibes, to my ears nothing has quite grasped the whatever-it-is that makes a Univibe so special...

That's right. There is just something special and unique about a good Univibe. I'm a huge Hendrix, Trower fan so I'm really excited about this build. I started working on the faceplate today as I work up my courage to tackle this bad boy.  ;D

TNblueshawk

Quote from: billstein on June 03, 2013, 05:57:10 AM

Haven't decided yet. I have a one spot and a voodoolabs pedal power. So I can go either way. I guess you would use two to the 9v isolated jacks to get 18v from the voodoo labs. Does anybody know if that is correct?

I actually bought an adaptor from them for 18v before I got into building.

Why not go with a road rage?
John

Cortexturizer

Hey that looks good man, I would be surprised if you were to encounter any troubleshooting later...

Personally I have never worked with a fabricated board. I guess I only know pain :D
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

billstein

Does the road rage do the necessary filtering on board?

twin1965

I think you'll have to use the LT1054 to get more current.

wstimson

Quote from: TNblueshawk on June 03, 2013, 10:49:23 AM

No need for a road rage.  The Harbinger has the charge pump on board. 
But you can omit that section and just use an 18v supply if you choose.

TNblueshawk

Oh, ok WS thanks.

If it was me I would run at 18v fo sho.
John

billstein

Quote from: wstimson on June 03, 2013, 07:06:36 PM
Quote from: TNblueshawk on June 03, 2013, 10:49:23 AM

No need for a road rage.  The Harbinger has the charge pump on board. 
But you can omit that section and just use an 18v supply if you choose.

Does that mean the Harbinger is running at 18v regardless of what power supply you use. The fact I don't know this probably shows I'm not ready for this build, but I'm doing it anyway! :)