News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Most Unnessary Wah Mod Ever

Started by pickdropper, May 30, 2013, 02:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

I am not sure if this should go in the build report as I had no part in building the pedal.  It was sort of fun, so I am posting it.  Mods, feel free to move this if it doesn't belong here.

This was a favor for my friend Jim, who has worked on my guitars for the last 15 years or so.  As is common, he finds it irritating that he can't tell when his wah is on during a gig.  He didn't want a hole drilled in the chassis, so this was the unnecessary solution to that problem.  :-)

I drew up the outline in Illustrator and cut an 1/8" acrylic plate using the laser engraver.  There are 13 cutouts for 5mm LEDs laid sideways.  They are wired up in two banks.  Each bank enables/disables alternate LEDs.

I went with green diffused to go more for a mellow glow.  In retrospect, it may have been better to do one bank as ultrabright and one bank as diffused.

It works with a battery, but probably not for very long.  It consumes as much current as an analog delay now.  :-)

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

irmcdermott

jkokura

This is like the TTG light plates! I LOVE IT!

Dave... you're awesome.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

DutchMF

Cool as F%$K!!!!! Can we hear a demo?  ;)  Nice one dude, would you be willing to share that outline?

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

pickdropper

Quote from: DutchMF on May 30, 2013, 05:47:22 PM
Cool as F%$K!!!!! Can we hear a demo?  ;)  Nice one dude, would you be willing to share that outline?

Paul

I've already given it up, so no demo, but the sound of me flipping switches wouldn't be that entertaining anyway.   ;D

Sure, I'd be willing to share it.

What format do you want it in?  It is currently .AI, but .PDF is easy enough.
Function f(x)

DutchMF

That was fast! I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to modding my C-baby in this way, but it sure as hell looks cool! Both formats would be fine really, PDF if it's a 1:1 scale I can handle myself, and I'm sure Mrs. Dutch can help out with the AI file.

Do you think it would be possible to create and explosion of light when you switch on the Wah? I mean, using red super brights, low value CLR, so that it would appear that my foot is on fire while using it? That would be the coolest thing ever.....

Paul

pickdropper

Using ultrabrights will help, but may make the light more pinpoint than it already is.  Some of them aren't as good off-angle.

Just skip the Tayda green ultrabrights.  The ones I've recently go weren't really any brighter than the diffused green.  There are plenty of places where you can get good Cree ones though.
Function f(x)

soldersqueeze

Ermahgerd, I want a glow in the dark wah pedal so badly now.

With rainbow LEDs.

Which never turn off.

In fact, forget the wah, I just want a massive glowing piles of LEDs at my feet.

DutchMF

croquet hoop

I love this. Some time ago I found clear 1590 backplates meant to be lit with LEDs, but kudos for making one yourself out of acrylic for a wah.

GermanCdn

Quote from: pickdropper on May 30, 2013, 06:09:53 PM
Using ultrabrights will help, but may make the light more pinpoint than it already is.  Some of them aren't as good off-angle.

Just skip the Tayda green ultrabrights.  The ones I've recently go weren't really any brighter than the diffused green.  There are plenty of places where you can get good Cree ones though.

Awesome.  Very nicely done.  Only thing that would have made it better would be colour changing LEDs, but that would probably lead to total chaos.  And yes, the green ultrabrights from Tayda suck.  Blue and red are fine, and the green on the multicolors is fine, oddly enough.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

GrindCustoms

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

gordo

Whoa, that's cool.  I've used the TTG plate for a buddy of mine in a Klon-ish pedal I built for him.  Now we need a way to color cycle or rainbow some Cree's!
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?