News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I'm not completely sure, but this may be the coolest tool I ever saw.

Started by frankie5fingers, May 22, 2013, 11:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scruffie

Nope, I never have either.

I thought it was cool at first until I read 'soldering required' and then went... it's a plastic box with two sets of 12 caps and two 12T1P Rotaries a toggle and some clips for $20 and the parts could be bought expensively for $10
Works at Lectric-FX

jkokura

Not to mention, alligator clip leads are not as helpful as having a couple breadboard jumper leads. If I'm going to make a substitution box like that, I'm going to want it in my circuit, not attached to another part or lead. That's too flimsy a connection.

I think i'm going to go after making one or two of these things. I've been meaning to get to some breadboarding tutorials, so that would be the sort of tool to lead towards that.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

frankie5fingers

The world's filled with plastic boxes, heresy I say!!
If I'll pay $40 and wait three weeks for a matched set of OC76s from GB, but not spring another $10 for a real box with actual dials, then I don't have my Mojo bone engaged.
This falls into the "I'll buy anything for $20.00" category.  A couple of sturdy cap legs and it's try one, "next", try another, "next", etc.
Nah, easy enough to make, even easier to buy.  If I want to add something to it or beef it up, I stll have the official box and cool dials.  C'mon... live a little.

culturejam

Quote from: jkokura on May 22, 2013, 11:47:12 PM
I think i'm going to go after making one or two of these things.

This is a threat I've made on several occasions.  ;D

I think it would be cool to do up a PCB with board-mounted rotaries.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

selfdestroyer

pickdropper

Quote from: culturejam on May 23, 2013, 12:13:13 AM
Quote from: jkokura on May 22, 2013, 11:47:12 PM
I think i'm going to go after making one or two of these things.

This is a threat I've made on several occasions.  ;D

I think it would be cool to do up a PCB with board-mounted rotaries.

I've been actively planning to make one of these, but haven't gotten around to it yet.  I use these all the time at work and want them for use at home.  I keep an eye out for the old General Radio versions on eBay.  They usually go for a decent bit of money, but sometimes you can find deals.

There is a DIY decade resistor kit out there already that uses 1206 (or 1210) resistors.  I have one on my desk at work, but I don't like the particular rotary switches they use (they mount from the back and reach through the board with no thread, so it isn't as easy to mount in a box).  As far as resistance, it works just fine.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

lincolnic

selfdestroyer

Quote from: lincolnic on May 23, 2013, 02:43:51 AM
So...how does this thing work, exactly?

If you open up the PDF I linked you will see.. its pretty straight forward. Think of the clips as the leads to any of the capacitors you select with the 12 position switch. What I did was made a single knob version with all the common caps for tone stacks so I can test a different cap on the fly.

lincolnic