News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pickup

Started by Jyka, May 22, 2013, 06:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jyka

Hi,

Did anyone have an experience about DIY guitar pickup ? I see it can cost less than 10/15 dollars ...

Want some fdbk about that :)

midwayfair

It's like building pedals as far as the cost goes: Although you CAN make a pickup with about $10 worth of wire, can you do it well the first time? How do you know you did it well unless you make some more and spend more on materials to do so? You might also have to buy much more wire than you need, so the "$10" cost might not be accurate. In other words, don't do it to save money. :)

It's actually pretty easy with a sowing machine and a counter. You can DIY a counter out of an old calculator that will rack up a hit every time the sowing machine spins the pickup -- there's a video online that shows how to do that along with winding the pickup.

Of course, if you research the ins and outs of pickups, you might be able to wind something that sounds spectacular with your guitar -- so do your homework beforehand on magnet (alnico, neo, ceramic, etc) and wire (42 v 43) types.

selfdestroyer

It's like building pedals as far as the cost goes: Although you CAN make a pickup with about $10 worth of wire, can you do it well the first time? How do you know you did it well unless you make some more and spend more on materials to do so? You might also have to buy much more wire than you need, so the "$10" cost might not be accurate. In other words, don't do it to save money. :)

Truth! I wish I would have realized this from day one when I started. I would have spent my money a little more wisely.