News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

1N34A that look like 1N4148's

Started by ichilton, May 13, 2013, 01:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ichilton

I've recently bought a few batches of 1N34A's on eBay, and most of them when they arrived look more like 1N4148's (small and orange) rather than big glass and see through like 1N34A's.

(I believe from some Googling they are DO-35 package instead of DO-7?)

What's the score with those? - are they fakes and not really 1N34A's? - or are there different versions?

Do they work/sound the same?

I've not measured the forward voltage of them yet - i'll have to do that.

Thanks,

Ian

Scruffie

There is a Schottky version of the 1N34A I think, so they're not germanium.

I've used them in Charge pumps quite a bit as they have a pretty low drop (0.15v maybe?).
Works at Lectric-FX

ichilton

Ah, ok - should they not have a different model number if they are a completely different diode?!?

Ian

ichilton

PS: They are sold as "10PCS GERMANIUM DIODE 1N34A DO-7 new", so am I right in saying that they are neither Germanium nor DO-7?

Here is a photo:
http://goo.gl/r0oPz

Thanks,

Ian

midwayfair

Tayda used to carry them, and they don't anymore. I think they're a Schottky work-alike. If the ad said "Germanium," and/or the picture didn't show the DO-35 package, and/or you paid more than 4c for them, regardless of whether the Fv is correct, I'd request a refund.

EDIT: After reading your third post, get a refund.

ichilton

Thanks midwayfair - I knew you'd know/chip in when diodes were mentioned! :-)

rullywowr

Quote from: ichilton on May 13, 2013, 01:15:51 PM
Thanks midwayfair - I knew you'd know/chip in when diodes were mentioned! :-)

"chip in"...lol.   ;D

Couldn't let that pun slip away.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

TNblueshawk

Quote from: midwayfair on May 13, 2013, 01:11:59 PM
Tayda used to carry them, and they don't anymore. I think they're a Schottky work-alike. If the ad said "Germanium," and/or the picture didn't show the DO-35 package, and/or you paid more than 4c for them, regardless of whether the Fv is correct, I'd request a refund.

Hey Jon, I still have a buttocks load of those from Tayda. Are they not good ?
John

midwayfair

Quote from: TNblueshawk on May 13, 2013, 07:54:39 PM
Quote from: midwayfair on May 13, 2013, 01:11:59 PM

Hey Jon, I still have a buttocks load of those from Tayda. Are they not good ?

Good/bad isn't at issue for the op ... it's whether they're actually Germanium and what he ordered from the description. If you like em, use em. The ones I got from Tayda in the little package clipped at .6v, though, which is silicon range, and they didn't pass the heat test (hold your finger on it, the heat should raise the Fv if it's actually Germanium).

TNblueshawk

Thanks. I realized it wasn't the issue for the OP but since you mentioned the Tayda ones I thought I'd ask.
John

ichilton