News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

On board Fatpants?

Started by GermanCdn, May 09, 2013, 03:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GermanCdn

So I'm building a new strat (yeah, I know, I reallllyyyyy need another guitar, even the guys are L&M are convinced I have a problem now,), and I'm thinking of putting a Fatpants into the guitar.  Since the Level pot is a 500k and I have a 500k push-pull, I'm thinking I run it like this

Five way selector into the middle lugs of the push pull

Lower lug out to the Input of the board. (Active)

Upper lug out to lug 1 of pot (Passive)

Level 1 lug from Fatpants to lug 1 of pot (Active)

Fat knob in place of Tone knob 1

Passive tone knob wired up tele style for Tone knob 2

Piece of Vero to build a gound plane for everything.

Stereo jack to kill the power when the guitar's unplugged.

This arrangmement would give me an active strat with the push pull in the down position and passive in the up position.

The logic makes sense to me, which usually means I've missed something  :P.

Anybody see an obvious problem with this idea?
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

nzCdog

Sounds like a cool idea Curtis! Fatpants sounds sooo good with my strat! :)

I rewired mine a couple of times... tho it still has a killswitch that I never use ( ::) ;D )  Seymour duncan has a really good resource of wiring diagrams for strat that might give you some ideas too if you havent seen it.

For your level pots lug 3 = input, 2 = output and 3 = ground.  I have personally killed a pickup by accidentally shorting a multimeter probe from +9V to the pickup output so take care they are delicate :(

GermanCdn

Thanks Corey.  Going to wire up Fat 50's in the neck and middle and a Twangbanger in the bridge, already installed a GFS full size brass block bridge, waiting on some new locking tuners and a graphtech super charger kit.  Probably wire it up as a 7 way with a mini-toggle.  I might wire up the fatpants as a mini toggle as well to give a little more room under the pickguard.

Toying with the idea of putting a baritone neck or an all rosewood neck on it.

Best part is - the body is the Fender Candy Cola finish.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

GermanCdn

Rethought the wiring, going to run a 3PDT toggle, run one side bypass and one side effected.  Eliminates the two wires running into the input lug of the volume knob, and gives me a little more room.

nzCdog

Quote from: GermanCdn on May 09, 2013, 05:49:06 PM
Fender Candy Cola finish.
^nom nom!

Great times ahead, make sure you post build pics!  I hear good things about those fat 50's pups... Alder/Ash body?  Baritones sounds amazing! I have a friend who had a custom baritone tele built for him, very nice guitar.  Only problem is he doesn't seem to play it much he just uses his standard tele or 335.  I haven't asked him about that yet...  but I wonder how much I would play a baritone myself if I had one.  Food for thought anyway ;)

GermanCdn

Alder body, I prefer ash on teles, but ash on strats just seems to be a little too bright.

I'm waivering on the baritone thing, as if this one works out the way I want it too, I'm gonna unload three or four strats to make room for something else, and I'm afraid I'd have the same problem as your buddy, just wouldn't use a baritone enough. I might solve that problem by taking the proceeds of the strat sales and putting it into a Bass VI.

Yeah, this one was a pretty slick find, it's a 2003 MIM, but finished in Candy Cola, which you almost never see.  Picked it up for a ridiculous price (<$200), partsing out the stuff I don't want on it for the stuff I do.

I played the Fat 50's on the 2012 Am Std, but of course, they never had one in the colour I wanted with the neck I wanted.  Sounded great, picked up a used set for $80.  I just can't justify the price of an Am Std, and still have to spend $200 on upgrades to get what I want.

jkokura

I have a Bari PRS SE, the Mike Mushok one. I'm going to be using it for some recording this summer. If I get some creative sounds out of it, I'll be really happy and keep it. If I can't get anything useful that I end up keeping for the songs I release, then it'll get moved out for a gretsch type of some sort after the summer.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

nzCdog

You should definitely check out the Dimarzio Area series pups if you get the chance.  I play '61s neck and middle, I have friends who have done all 3 Area '67s, or a mixture of '58 and '61.  Real strat-snob tones and playability with no noise and a great price... They have displaced fender custom shop, lollar and bareknuckles in strats I personally know of... no joke!   Just don't tell anyone on TGP  ;)

jkokura

I'm about to try an Area T set in a tele project I'm working on. But Curt knows this already...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals